Booking a year in advance; what about flights?

> Mike, what line are you sailing?

> Check on that issue again, I don't think you are correct.

Thanks Rosie. I'm sailing with RCL. I did check again and sure enough, it gave me a flight option.

One thing I did *not* expect was having to pay a $500 deposit immediately on the cruise itself. Is this typical? But it looks as though I'd have until around 2 months and 1 week before sailing to cancel.

Also looks like I can add/remove the flight as I wish. I'm leaving it off for now, since I'll likely either book my own airfare or cancel and go for a Western Carribbean cruise if all else fails. I'm not paying USD $1500+ per person for RT airfare from Raleigh, NC to Rome.

> I also used FF miles for my tickets to Europe but on AA not United. As

> texancruzer said, make sure you start looking the day the seats become

> available, usually 331 days out. I booked my seats wthin the first week

> the seats were open. They book up really fast.

Thanks again. I'm trying to finagle myself up to 50K miles on AA so I'll have another option for at least one ticket. Although the cruise is a Rome roundtrip, I know I need to get to Paris on at least one side of the trip. So RCL's airfare wouldn't necessarily help. A friend of mine in Paris invited me and my wife to stay with him before or after our cruise, and I can't pass that up.

Europe being europe, with connections being so easy by rail, I'll definitely look into alternate airports for the frequent flier seats.

I know I can probably look this on on RailEurope, but anyone have any idea how much a ticket in a sleeper compartment would cost from Paris <> Rome? I've heard that's a good way to avoid paying for a night's hotel--leaving Paris by train at night and waking up in Rome, or vice-versa. I've got free accomodations in Paris, but not in Rome.

Thanks again for all the help.

Mike

I'm doing an Eastern Carribbean cruise with RCL in late September. My Eastern Mediterranean cruise is about a year later.

I've heard some cruise lines will offer you $100+ off, or onboard credit, for booking your next cruise while on board a cruise. Does RCL do this, and should I bring my reservation details with me?

Part of the reason I've booked directly with RCL (instead of using Expedia or other web sites where I'm locked in) is so I can re-book if prices go down.

Wondering what kinds of deals people here have gotten by doing a series of re-bookings; and how late you can re-book for a better price. I'm guessing it's the same cut-off as being able to cancel with no penalty.

Mike, if you book while on a cruise you are eligible for shipboard credit according to the length of cruise you book.

3-5 night cruise - $50 OBC

6-9 night cruise - $100 OBC

10+ night cruise - $200 OBC

There are 2 ways you can do it. You book a specific cruise and pay the full deposit and get the above OBC. Or you book a Next Cruise which requires $100. pp deposit. This is an open booking and can be booked anytime after you get home. Either way you get the same OBC. This subject is discussed frequently on the RCCL boards.

You don't have to re-book to get the lower fare. Either the cruiseline or most travel agents will honor price drops if they occur. You just have to ask. There are other ways to get OBC with RCCL as well. If you own 100 shares of their stock you get OBC. Some travel agents will offer OBC as a perk for booking with them. This can be substantial on a European cruise. Hope some of this info is helpful.

Thanks Rosie. I appreciate the help. I know Expedia often offers $100 OBC--got one for my upcoming Eastern Caribbean cruise. But didn't think I'd be able to get any OBC booking directly with RCL. So I will definitely try for that when I'm onboard. Thanks again.

Mike

Archived