Grandeur or Inspiration with a 4 1/2 year old

sunflower girl

My DD is also 45 1/2 inches tall. I cannot seem to find age/height requirements for the activities on these two ships. I do not want to take her on a cruise and have to tell her she cannot go down the water slide or climb the rock wall. is anyone familiar with these requirements?

Does anyone have experience with these ships and have a preference for one over the other? They have very similar itineraries and RCI is slightly more expensive. I will pay the extra if there is something great about the ship.

We moved to FL about a year ago and I am dieing to take a cruise out of Tampa and go under the skyway bridge!

Thank you!

I have been on both ships and I would pick the Inspiration, they have the slides, water park, newly remodeled kids camp, put put golf. The Grandeur was nice too but definitely not as kid friendly. It is an older RCCL ship so no skating rink, wave rider etc. The rock climbimg wall is very steep so I am not sure a 4yr old would enjoy doing it. We are going on the Inspiration again this weekend, its one of our favorite ships.

Julie

Thank you for all the information. I really appriciate it. I have been wanting to try RCI, but it sounds like now is not the time.

I would LOVE to say she would not climb the rock wall...but she would...and I would be trying not to have a heart attach the entire time. Her father built her one when she was 8 months old...she was climbing it before she was steady on her feet. :o Did not make me happy.

It sounds like I would be happier with her on the waterslide - which she is tall enough to be on!

Thanks Again!

Actually, the rock climbing wall on RCI wouldn't be an issue (for you that is) because the minimum age for climbing is 6 years (no exceptions), so no worries that you'd be having a heart attack...although your DD might be, shall we say, "unhappy" about it.

beachchick

Thanks BeachChick - that is one more reason to go with Carnival! My DH would be less happy than my DD...would not be fun for me at all. i do have to admit she is a very good climber, but that really is not one of the things I was hoping for her to be. :)

How do they know how old the children are at the rock climbing wall? She is tall that when she was 3 people gave me filthy looks when I told them she was not in school. People really thought she was 6 or 7. I know they keep records at the camp - do they have that same access?

I thought the rock climbing wall also had a 48" height requirement. :confused:

There was a reason that my 8 year old couldn't do it last year, I think it was that?

It very well could have the 48" height requirement. I'm not sure. I just remember the 6-y/o minimum.

sunflower girl: They will know how old your DD is because you have to fill out a waiver to climb at all. They've got a list of all pax with ages that can be referenced. I have no doubt that they check the specifics for any child who looks younger than 10. Their liability insurance rates are based in part on the age/height/health restrictions in place. If the cruise line doesn't follow those, they can have serious problems with the insurer.

When she's old enough, your DD will no doubt thoroughly enjoy RCI. Until then, it sounds like Carnival is a better choice for you.

beachchick

Archived