HELP me pack ~Not overpack~ 1st time cruiser packing list!

vacation_junkie

We use the Ziploc bag method of packing. I pack similar clothes in the large Ziploc bags. For example, I put my two swim suits and a coverup in one bag.

I color-coordinate my clothes with neutral bottoms (capris, dress pants, shorts, skirts) and colorful casual or dressy tops.

Ziplocs are good, too, for organizing underwear, jewellery, and personal grooming articles.

One advantage of packing with Ziploc bags is that it makes unpacking in your room and packing up at the end so much simpler. The clothes don't move around in the suitcase as much.

A second advantage is that you can see what you have in the bag without opening it. I always lay things out before I pack my suitcase, and then putting the full Ziploc bags into the suitcase is so much easier.

We take three pairs of shoes...dress shoes, sandals, and sneakers. We take casual flipflops, but they don't count!

Good luck and happy cruising!

Hi all, I will be cruising in December, my first, I am very excited. I love all the tips! I travel for work quite a bit and the one thing I can't live without is my Downey wrinkle releaser spray. Not only does it work, but it also freshens your clothes if you are wearing them more than once.

I am proud to say I haven't ironed in years! It is worth the extra weight in your suitcase.

Ohh..good idea

I travel a LOT, both cruises and land-based, usually with my retired father. We tend to stay in youth hostels and guest houses, neither of which are conducive to lugging around heavy suitcases. So we've become experts at light packing.

We take Rick Steves' advice...pack the same whether you're going for three days or two months. The key is to mix and match. I never pack a single item unless it goes with at least three other pieces. I've gotten great at it for warm weather, still working on making things work for colder climates (being from the South, we're not used to cold weather).

Still, we're down to one carryon size suitcase each. We have two backpacks also, because Dad needs a lot of medication and medical supplies. For our last cruise, we were able to manage a pre-cruise stay at a third floor walkup, self-debarkation and even a bus through Harlem to the airport. Very convenient, and only $2 per person!

Try to pack only clothes that don't wrinkle (my new favorite formal dress is ankle length, yet rolls up into virtually nothing). Bring the wrinkle spray for the few things that will wrinkle. Small accessories like a shawl or a wrap, and one or two lightweight jackets, can make an outfit look entirely different.

One pair flip flops, one pair dressy sandals, one pair lightweight dress boots and wear my tennies for the trip, and I'm good to go.

I don't know if we're allowed to mention specific luggage manufacturers on here, but the person mentioned above with the great advice makes a line that can't be beat! You would be amazed how easily our suitcases swallow whatever we buy in port!! And the bags themselves weigh next to nothing, yet are water resistant and incredibly strong.

I am known to pack everything almost including the kitchen sink..for those "just in case its needed" occasions.

The 3 of us will be going on a 7 day Carnival Caribbean Cruise. Myself , husband and 8 year old son

Anyone have a packing list they care to share?

:confused:

My husband said we need to pack light so we can bring back souviners....my problem is...Light is 6 pairs of shoes...lol

:eek: Help me pack please :eek:

I have been on several cruises and at least 20 other tours around the globe. Here is what I have learned to do -

I pick out my clothes based on comfort and colors. Then I took digital pics of each piece. Then I took the pics and mixed and matched outfits together based on what goes with what. I then had "OutFit 1, 2" and so on. I also use the individual ziplock bags for daily changes. When I am on a tour, and I know I am in a place for 3 days, for instance, I pack bags that might say "PARIS". When I hit paris I pull out that zip lock of underwear. I don't disturb the balance of my suitcase.

I find the following things I have purchased indispensible:

Long black sweater/cardigan duster I bought at Kohl's. It goes over jeans, skirts and dresses. Can be dressed up and/or down with scarves etc.

Black turtleneck, Cream turtleneck These goes with anything

Don't pack jeans unless I am doing something adventurous like horseback riding. Typically, jeans are heavy, take up too much room, and really can just be jeans. On the other hand, black slacks can be casual day wear or dressy nightwear, depending on what top(s) you wear and accessories you slap on as you head out the door!

I take 3 pairs of shoes. One pair of workout shoes, one pair of evening/dancing shoes, and one pair of hiking books and/or comfortable hiking/walking shoes for walking tours and shopping.

I take one or two evening purses, and two daytime purses to switch around. They are small and I love purses!

I ALWAYS take 4 or 5 scarves. It makes me feel glamourous and can really dress up an outfit that is other wise plain. I have a few silk Picasso scarves - very colorful and fun - that totally change the look of an all black, rather boring outfit.

I take black tights which double to keep my legs warm under slacks, but also can be worn in the evening if I am wearing a long dark dress or skirt. They never run. Another plus.

I rarely take tee shirts, as I typically don't wear tee shirts. I would rather take some casual shirts or shells that can be dressed up or down. They go with capris, but can also be worn in the evening with the right accessories if I need to dress up. Tee Shirts can't be dressed up, IMHO.

My husband and I are ballroom dancers so in the past we have traveled with tuxes and ballgowns, on several dance-specific cruises. We are excited about our upcoming Azamara cruise, no tuxes needed. We can go country club casual with our clothing and though we'll still be dressed up, we won't have 50 lbs of dressy clothes to contend with.

Here are some great links for packing suggestions:

www.independenttraveler.com

www.onebag.com

www.travelite.org

Bon Voyage,

Stacy

I travel a LOT, both cruises and land-based, usually with my retired father. We tend to stay in youth hostels and guest houses, neither of which are conducive to lugging around heavy suitcases. So we've become experts at light packing.

We take Rick Steves' advice...pack the same whether you're going for three days or two months. The key is to mix and match. I never pack a single item unless it goes with at least three other pieces. I've gotten great at it for warm weather, still working on making things work for colder climates (being from the South, we're not used to cold weather).

Still, we're down to one carryon size suitcase each. We have two backpacks also, because Dad needs a lot of medication and medical supplies. For our last cruise, we were able to manage a pre-cruise stay at a third floor walkup, self-debarkation and even a bus through Harlem to the airport. Very convenient, and only $2 per person!

Try to pack only clothes that don't wrinkle (my new favorite formal dress is ankle length, yet rolls up into virtually nothing). Bring the wrinkle spray for the few things that will wrinkle. Small accessories like a shawl or a wrap, and one or two lightweight jackets, can make an outfit look entirely different.

One pair flip flops, one pair dressy sandals, one pair lightweight dress boots and wear my tennies for the trip, and I'm good to go.

I don't know if we're allowed to mention specific luggage manufacturers on here, but the person mentioned above with the great advice makes a line that can't be beat! You would be amazed how easily our suitcases swallow whatever we buy in port!! And the bags themselves weigh next to nothing, yet are water resistant and incredibly strong.

I second your vote on this luggage. It is indestructible. He makes quality gear.

All of our Luggage is H*ys Ultra light Hardshell so they weigh close to nothing! I should be fine with my reversable skirts.

It my husband and son i'm worried about. I could probably fit all my sun dresses and stuff in my carry on! I know my son will live in his swim shorts on the boat so I don't need to pack a tonner .It sjust the "Dinner" clothing that I think will be a pain to pack for them!

All of our Luggage is H*ys Ultra light Hardshell so they weigh close to nothing! I should be fine with my reversable skirts.

It my husband and son i'm worried about. I could probably fit all my sun dresses and stuff in my carry on! I know my son will live in his swim shorts on the boat so I don't need to pack a tonner .It sjust the "Dinner" clothing that I think will be a pain to pack for them!

Actually, dinner clothing can be really simplified for guys, especially now that formal night has become less so on most lines. One pair of khakis/dockers can be worn to casual dinner twice, then reused as daytime sightseeing wear. A single pair of black dress slacks is great for formal nights. Shirts can also be repeated the same way. Since they'll only be in those clothes for a couple of hours, just a handful of clothes can go a surprisingly long way!

Pack a bunch of clothes that go together easily. Black and khaki pants, solid color shirts that match with either pairs of pants, etc. You get the idea. I have a link on my signature which shows a great packing list if you're interested.

Pack a bunch of clothes that go together easily. Black and khaki pants, solid color shirts that match with either pairs of pants, etc. You get the idea. I have a link on my signature which shows a great packing list if you're interested.

:D thanks a bunch that is a great list:D

Archived