Question about tips for Driver/Guides in Europe

When a driver/guide quotes a price (for example 350EU for the Amalfi Coast) does that typically include driver gratuity, or do we need to tip separately? Can anyone recommend the expected tip percentage? Any different if it's the owner of the company doing the driving? Thank you!

When a driver/guide quotes a price (for example 350EU for the Amalfi Coast) does that typically include driver gratuity, or do we need to tip separately? Can anyone recommend the expected tip percentage? Any different if it's the owner of the company doing the driving? Thank you!

There are two tipping threads currently on page 1, as I type. This question is asked all the time and frankly, there is no correct answer. Guide tips are not standardized and it is basically what you want to give.

As to whether or not the quoted price includes a gratuity, you would have to ask your tour company.

When I have asked for quotes for guides in various ports, they have given me a price such as "E70 per person, not including tip", which tells me they suggest tipping.

How much to tip is a personal decision. I tend to go by time rather than cost. Whole day, probably $20, Half $10, and less than half $5 per person is pretty typical for a group tour. I adjust up if it is a private tour. I will also adjust up or down depending on the quality of the service given, etc. Again, these are just my personal thoughts on tipping.

Archived