Airline Food or bring your own?

High Cs

I bring saltines - trail mix - peanut butter sandwiches made from the small dinner rolls - red vines ( once an attendant noticed our pkg or red vines and asked for one - so we shared.... then she came back and asked for 3 more to share with the other attendants -- I kinda' looked at her like..........excuse me!! you guys charge me for snax and you are moochin' off of us! = but we shared anyway)... a candy bar -- Corkey

My family travels alot and I always pack up a small picnic type of snacks. I do cut up cheese, crackers, grapes, strawberries, chocolate, mini bagels and a few homemade cheesecake brownies:D

The flight attentants always comment on what a nice picnic we have.

My family travels alot and I always pack up a small picnic type of snacks. I do cut up cheese, crackers, grapes, strawberries, chocolate, mini bagels and a few homemade cheesecake brownies:D

The flight attentants always comment on what a nice picnic we have.

Good ideas - thanx -- I especially like the the cheesecake brownies!! Corkey

We usually bring individually packaged string cheese, shelled sunflower seeds, South Beach snack bars, baby carrots and Crystal Light packets to add to bottled water. Since I'm diabetic, I carry the food. If they consider taking it away at security, I explain that I need it. No problems.

We usually bring individually packaged string cheese, shelled sunflower seeds, South Beach snack bars, baby carrots and Crystal Light packets to add to bottled water. Since I'm diabetic, I carry the food. If they consider taking it away at security, I explain that I need it. No problems.

The Crystal Light idea is great - thank you... Corkey

• 3 weeks later...
If you fly to the port for you cruise (or any other time), do you purchase a meal from the airline or do you bring your own snacks, etc?

If you bring your own, what works well for you given the limited dining space, lack of ambiance, and time limits?

I find it funny that the airlines are now charging for the food we didn't like when it was free. The last decent domestic airline meal I had was on a Pan Am flight from New York to San Francisco and that was more than 20 years ago. Now the overseas flight food is beginning to resemble the domestic flight food. :eek:

We usually bring some South Beach high protein bars and/or eat in the airport between planes depending on the length of the trip. Our oldest daughter was a professional chef and warned us that it is better to be hungry than to eat foods not properly refrigerated or that have been at RT too long, get sick and ruin your whole trip. It works for us. Oh, we do have to hike quite a way sometimes to reach a decent eating place in an airport, but the exercise is good too.

I find it funny that the airlines are now charging for the food we didn't like when it was free. The last decent domestic airline meal I had was on a Pan Am flight from New York to San Francisco and that was more than 20 years ago. Now the overseas flight food is beginning to resemble the domestic flight food. :eek:

We usually bring some South Beach high protein bars and/or eat in the airport between planes depending on the length of the trip. Our oldest daughter was a professional chef and warned us that it is better to be hungry than to eat foods not properly refrigerated or that have been at RT too long, get sick and ruin your whole trip. It works for us. Oh, we do have to hike quite a way sometimes to reach a decent eating place in an airport, but the exercise is good too.

Hi Friends from the CA Thread: yes, the best meals we've had were in the intern'l flights - but not any more! they serve the same thing over and over... I also went on Pan am during the 70's and they had very good meals. I always pack a bagel and some plain rolls like King's Hawaiian rolls - trail mix, etc.

I just laff when they try to sell their small size pringles for $$$$!! Corkey Carol

Hi Friends from the CA Thread: yes, the best meals we've had were in the intern'l flights - but not any more! they serve the same thing over and over... I also went on Pan am during the 70's and they had very good meals. I always pack a bagel and some plain rolls like King's Hawaiian rolls - trail mix, etc.

I just laff when they try to sell their small size pringles for $$$$!! Corkey Carol

Hey California girl,

Yes, those are the kind of foods that I was talking about. Foods that are stable at RT. As far as the prices go, if you have a starving captive audience, you can charge whatever you want and they do.

Steve

Hey California girl,

Yes, those are the kind of foods that I was talking about. Foods that are stable at RT. As far as the prices go, if you have a starving captive audience, you can charge whatever you want and they do.

Steve

I'll be flying Mar 12 for a Caribbean cruise so let's see what I'll bring- we also look forward to some of the airport restaurants - of course they charge a lot there too - but at least it's

"fresh"? heehee!!

talk to ya when I get back - 2/20 to 3/1 on the Mariner

to the Mexican Riviera. Looking forward to some warm temps!! Corkey Carol

I just looked up South Beach Bars (once I got past dodgy Miami hangouts) :D

I'm on a low GI diet and the South Beach products look great, but I live in the UK. I'll be visiting Texas soon, and Fort Lauderdale later this year. Are South Beach products available in US supermarkets or only online?

I just looked up South Beach Bars (once I got past dodgy Miami hangouts) :D

I'm on a low GI diet and the South Beach products look great, but I live in the UK. I'll be visiting Texas soon, and Fort Lauderdale later this year. Are South Beach products available in US supermarkets or only online?

The South Beach diet plan was designed to be a low GI diet based on our reading. The South Beach bars are made by Kraft Foods and in our experience seem to adhere to the principles of the diet. In the U.S. we buy them in Safeway supermarkets. You can look at the Safeway website http://www.safeway.com/ to find store locations. They may be available in other supermarkets also. Kraft Foods should be able to tell you what other supermarkets stock the products. If you wish to contact Kraft, the e-mail contact page is http://kraftfoods.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/kraftfoods.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php and you can ask them directly. The Atkins Diet bars are also supposed to be low GI. We hope that helps and that you have a great trip.

Steve and Avra

The South Beach diet plan was designed to be a low GI diet based on our reading. The South Beach bars are made by Kraft Foods and in our experience seem to adhere to the principles of the diet. In the U.S. we buy them in Safeway supermarkets. You can look at the Safeway website http://www.safeway.com/ to find store locations. They may be available in other supermarkets also. Kraft Foods should be able to tell you what other supermarkets stock the products. If you wish to contact Kraft, the e-mail contact page is http://kraftfoods.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/kraftfoods.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php and you can ask them directly. The Atkins Diet bars are also supposed to be low GI. We hope that helps and that you have a great trip.

Steve and Avra

Thank you so much Steve and Avra. I've emailed Kraft today and I'll be sure to visit Safeway when I'm in the US.

Carol

• 4 weeks later...

Canadian Walmarts sell wonderful nut and dried fruit mixes in the bulk section..filled w/ blueberries, cranberries, cashews, dried mango, pinapple etc.. I stock up on these year round.

I also get hubby a lg.bag of chocolate covered almonds..they come in resealable bags..he loves nuts..iI take gum along for my ..ear pressure probs too..or earplugs..

Canadian airlines like Westjet supply free juices like apple, orange, cranberry etc, or 7UP pop,w/ ice..or free coffee,tea,etc..along w/ free cookies or pretzels..they usually provide refills or extra pkgs..

I believe the coffee was "Seattles best"..lol..

Archived