Aos 9/21/08

Our family is sailing on the 21st and need some tips on the ports. We fly in at 1:30 and have RCI taking us to the ship, will we have time to visit Old San Juan? Is it walking distance from the pier? I've heard that AOS docks away from the Old San Juan area (Bacardi tour, etc.)

Any information and tips would be great. My 10th cruise but first for my daughter-in-law and she is EXCITED.

Wear shorts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's really HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ship is away from OSJ... its at Pan American pier. The ports are gorgeous!!! I just got back from the 8/24-31 sailing which is the same itinerary u r going on. Snorkeling in Aruba was AMAZING... the island of Curacao was awesome... great scenery... awesome bridges... St Maarten was cool... esp Orient Beach on French side... (clothing optional!!!:o ) and ST Thomas was my fave... beautiful Magen's Bay... awesome picture ops... even tho they drive on the wrong side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ship is awesome and GINORMOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had a blast and hope u and your party enjoy your vacation. If u have the opportunity... eat at Portofino on ship... WELL WORTH the 20 bucks a person... its like a 7 course meal that is a work of art!!

Have fun!

Annemarie

Thanks for the info Annemarie. We do have the excursion booked on St. Thomas for Magen's Bay and we are renting a car on St. Maarten so the 6 of us can see everything including Orient Bay. Did you find better shopping on the French side? Have you ever rented a car on any of the islands?

What time do we have to be on-board Sunday for departure? Did you go into Old San Juan?

No we didnt go into OSJ... didnt have enough time... They had vegetarian options at portofino... so all is good there:D . As far as boarding... You can start arriving at the port shortly before noon... however... you wont get in your stateroom till 2pm cuz they are still cleaning them till then... but you can check in at the pier and they will let u on ship and you can go eat in the windjammer or grab a drink on ship...and explore... just no stateroom areas. Have fun!!!!

Annemarie

Shopping better on the Dutch side of St Maarten... I got a blue and white diamond ring for less that $400.00... in the states it would have cost me over 700.00. No we didnt rent our own vehicles... they drive CRAZY!!!! :eek: Seriously they drive crazy in these islands... so i didnt feel comfortable renting a car in a country where i am not familiar with their way of doing things. St thomas was probably the worst... cuz theydrive on the left and the roads are narrow and curvy... good luck! HAve fun!

Annemarie

Shopping better on the Dutch side of St Maarten... I got a blue and white diamond ring for less that $400.00... in the states it would have cost me over 700.00. No we didnt rent our own vehicles... they drive CRAZY!!!! :eek: Seriously they drive crazy in these islands... so i didnt feel comfortable renting a car in a country where i am not familiar with their way of doing things. St thomas was probably the worst... cuz theydrive on the left and the roads are narrow and curvy... good luck! HAve fun!

Annemarie

Just off AOS last week--you won't have time to see Old San Juan that day. All aboard is 5:30pm.. OSJ is not within walking distance from the pier.

When you get off the boat, there are tours that are offered for $25.00 per person--tour OSJ, new San Juan, and shopping, ends at the airport around 1-1:30pm if you have a flight late enough.

Archived