Travel agent chicanery?

rhodester

I'll try to keep this simple. I booked an Oceanview cabin then asked my travel agent to upgrade me to a balcony when the price dropped. She told me she had booked balcony guarantee. I will be paying the price listed on the website but aren't guaranteed rooms cheaper than a regular booking? If so, did the travel agency pocket the difference between the listed price and the guarantee price instead of passing the savings on to me?

I'll try to keep this simple. I booked an Oceanview cabin then asked my travel agent to upgrade me to a balcony when the price dropped. She told me she had booked balcony guarantee. I will be paying the price listed on the website but aren't guaranteed rooms cheaper than a regular booking? If so, did the travel agency pocket the difference between the listed price and the guarantee price instead of passing the savings on to me?

Guarantees are usually lower but not always. Let me give you an example and hope I'm clear.

We are taking a 4 day Independance in November. We have senior rate. D2 is $100 less than E2. It is also less than guarantee.

Did you check RCL's website yourself? What date and ship so we can take a look for you.

Not a senior. Don't know what the guaranteed price for this room is or how to find out. Just wondering if the TA could have pocketed the difference between the list price and the guarantee price ( assuming the guarantee price is cheaper).

Not a senior. Don't know what the guaranteed price for this room is or how to find out. Just wondering if the TA could have pocketed the difference between the list price and the guarantee price ( assuming the guarantee price is cheaper).

To try to find the answer to your question - if you paid by cc who charged your payement? Was it charged directly by RCL? If so, there cannot be any extra charge, if he/she charged to his/her agency you could have a problem. However I wouldn't jump on that just yet as prices change often. It's a case of apples to apples.

I would do as previous poster suggested and ask for client copy of your reservation first and go from there.

Guarantees are usually lower but not always.

This is correct - gaurantees are not always cheaper.

You could always phone RCCL direct and ask what a "balcony gaurantee" would be for your sailing... Also you should receive an updated "customer copy" of the RCCL invoice from your TA.

Presumably if the gaurantee is not cheaper - and you would prefer a particular balcony - then you could request that your TA change your gaurantee to a specific cabin...

Personally I think it is very unlikely that your TA is trying to screw you out of money...

Good luck :)

Boo

Archived