The Good, the Fab and the never Ugly TR – Independence of the Seas 27 Aug to 6 Sep

Lisa-UK

Lisa, thanks for your descriptive report on the Indy. We are cruising on October 4 11 days Canary Islands cruise and taking our almost 12 & 18 grandkids. I know you had a balcony cabin but want to know if you felt too cramped. We're 4 on an inside. When the price dropped we got a $1361 price adjustment and couldn't justify paying difference for family cabin. Anyway, don't plan to spend too much time in cabin with so many things to do. Also, we've booked cruise shore excursions. Did you hear any comments from fellow passengers? I know we have different itinerary but we'll be in Lisbon and Vigo. Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

Maggie

Lisa, thanks for your descriptive report on the Indy. We are cruising on October 4 11 days Canary Islands cruise and taking our almost 12 & 18 grandkids. I know you had a balcony cabin but want to know if you felt too cramped. We're 4 on an inside. When the price dropped we got a $1361 price adjustment and couldn't justify paying difference for family cabin. Anyway, don't plan to spend too much time in cabin with so many things to do. Also, we've booked cruise shore excursions. Did you hear any comments from fellow passengers? I know we have different itinerary but we'll be in Lisbon and Vigo. Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

Maggie

Hi Maggie

I am sure you will be fine 4 in a cabin it was not cramped, it was cosy! But hey, you won't be in there much. If you have ever done a caravan holiday, it feels a bit like that! You probably won't see much of the grandkids, they are going to have a whale of a time. There is lots of hanging space and so you should all be ok for storage. The only problem I would foresee is the bathroom use - it is small in there and room for one only. You can always send one of the kids off to the pool deck to shower if you are tight for time.

I would jump at the chance just to be on Indy again - they could stow me in the lifeboat for all I cared - once you are aboard you will know what I mean..........the cabins are very nice, I'm sure you will be pleased.

re Excursions - as we were travelling with my Mum and Dad who had visited all of our ports (barr Gibraltar) we were led by them and didn't book any shore-ex. However, the excursions did look to be reasonable value and I heard no comlplaints only good things from other passengers. I believe they were all very well organised.

For Lisbon we just had a wander around the town and then got the Tram scenic tour - that was good. Vigo was nice and the good thing is you step off the ship and you are right there - the shopping mall was lovely.

I am intruiged to know, when you say 'when the price dropped' do you mean you got a refund from RCI as the price for your particular cruise went down??

Have a fabulous trip..........

Hi Lisa, thanks for your reply. A week after I'd booked and paid in full; I checked the RCCL website and noticed price reduction on inside cabins. In our case $1361 less than originally paid. I called C&A (gold member) and confirmed and was told to call my TA for price adjustment. I did so immediately and received credit to my visa within a few days. Always check with RCCL first before calling your TA in case they tell you it can be done. RCCL seems to be good about price adjustments and if they are willing to do it no reason TA can't. I even added my 12 yr old grandson after the fact and RCCL charged the same fare I'd paid for my granddaugter. I also received a $250 OBC from TA. This is the first time I've done this and believe me I'll be checking the cruise websites daily for any price reductions in the future. It may or may not happen but if it does it will be great!

Maggie

Hi Maggie

thanks for explaining. Indeed, it does pay to keep checking the fares! I am hoping to book again one day - it would be sooner if they had a cabin for me nex tAugust, but they don't. I will remeber your tip. Well done.

Lisa

I would jump at the chance just to be on Indy again -

Know exactly what you mean, myself and SWMBO did our first ever cruise on Indy on the 9th Aug round the Italian Med. We loved it so much that within a week of returning home we booked another trip to the Canaries:cool: .

One thing I would add, make sure you catch Rock The Boat, mainly in the Pyramid Lounge in the evenings, a really good band, one night C&W, another Stones & Beatles another slightly jazz orientated, very accomplished musicians who really do rock the boat.:)

Jim.

Archived