Where does ship dock, in Dubrovnik?

billyelliot

When I went to Dubrovnik earlier this summer on the Costa Classica, we tendered in to the south end of the city and entered the gate right there at the pier. To get up on the wall, we walked to the north end of the Stradun (3 minutes) and there's the stairs and ticket booth on the right at that north gate ( I think it's the Pile gate) across from the Onofrio Fountain. It costs 50 kuna to walk the wall. I absolutely loved Dubrovnik, I'm sure you will too!

It really depends on how many ships are in port. Generally you will dock at Gruz and you can either take the ship's shuttle or a taxi to the old town.

If there are several ships in port, you will tender in as described above.

The pile gate is the most commonly used entrance to the walls, but can be busy with long queues, especially if there is more than one ship in. There are 2 more entrances to the walls, one at Ploce gate, and a lesser known one near the aquarium. I believe the aquarium entrance is the easiest with the fewest people. The town is very small and it only takes a few minutes to walk the length of the placa.

There is a map here:

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

If you tender in, you will arrive near point 14 on the map. Points 26 and 29 show the other wall entrances. Point 2 shows the Pile gate wall entrance and the bus drop off point is also shown.

Thanks for both your replys. Sparky thats a great map:D If we decide to go to the Aquarium entrance, is it possible to walk from the ship? If not would it be better using ships shuttle or taxi? Any idea on cost for 2 of us?

can we pay in Euros for the wall, if so how much? Thanks x

We were there last month, but on MSC not Costa. As we ended up tendering (on most previous runs the ship had docked at Gruz) I can only answer some of your questions from my previous research.

I believe it is a reasonable walk from the port to the old town. There is a bus station not far from the port, but if there is one at the right time is another matter. There is a ship's shuttle (7 euros return) or you can take a taxi (10 euros each way) I had thought I would probably use the shuttle. If you decide on a taxi, asking for the Ploce gate would put you at the quieter end of town and nearer the other 2 entrances, but if you take the shuttle, it really isn't far from one end of the town to the other. Trust me, this is coming from some-one who doesn't walk very far. :)

There is another map I have found here which shows the wall entrances..each marked number 4.

http://www.korculainfo.com/dubrovnik/old-town/map/

It costs 50 kuna to walk the wall..roughly £5.50. We had kuna, but I didn't come across anyone..including street vendors, who didn't take euros. Maybe there will be some small shops & cafes who don't. There are ATM's in the town if you need them.

• 3 years later...

Just returned from adriatic cruise on costa victoria. We tendered in the sea facing dubrovnik, tender boat took about 5 minutes to get to Dubrovnik, got off at the "water gate" which led right into the main street of the town centre.

The half day excursion included a short coach excursion in the countryside with photostop and a 2 hours walk in Dubrovnik centre. Our guide was a local expert, very informative about the city and its history. It cost about Eur50 per person.

You don't have to join an excurision as Dubrovnik is a small town, and it is easy to explore the various buildings at your own pace (with a guidebook if you need to know the history).

Archived