Mass Market or Premium - Can You Discern?

high seas gal

Wrap around promenade -- One of the most detracting factors of these new cruise liners is their likening to a block of condos that simply fell off the cliffs and into the ocean, somehow learned to float and formed a cruise ship. The lack of a proper promenade deck, which doesn't involve climbing stairs to multiple decks, etc., is a major disappointment aboard this new generation of larger ships from Celebrity and others in the industry.

On our latest two cruises, both the captains of Galaxy and Mercury opted to *CLOSE* the front of the ship altogether, so passengers on deck 11 were not even able to go to the ONE place on the ship with a forward looking view. That's totally confusing to me.

Gary,

You sound like the person to ask--is there a place to walk on Galaxy? Even if it involves climbing stairs to multiple decks etc? I know there is a jogging track but it sounds as if the joggers do not appreciate walkers using it. And it sounds rather dull? And is there a place for an outside view? Is that only on deck 11--if it is open? What about aft? We are taking the Galaxy to the Panama Canal and even though we have a balcony, I heard it is good to go someplace where you can see both port & starboard at the same time. Where would that be? Thanks, Shari

Gary,

You sound like the person to ask--is there a place to walk on Galaxy? Even if it involves climbing stairs to multiple decks etc? I know there is a jogging track but it sounds as if the joggers do not appreciate walkers using it. And it sounds rather dull? And is there a place for an outside view? Is that only on deck 11--if it is open? What about aft? We are taking the Galaxy to the Panama Canal and even though we have a balcony, I heard it is good to go someplace where you can see both port & starboard at the same time. Where would that be? Thanks, Shari

The best places you will find on the later versions of Celebrity's Century-Class ships to view the outside...

1. Decks 6 and 7 both serve as the promenade, offering views aft and from side to side. Unfortunately, the promenade doesn't wrap around the front and guests lose what probably would have been the most popular "sightseeing" part of the ship that way. If you prefer to walk a bit closer to the water where you can actually tell that the ship is moving and hear the crashing of the ocean below, these decks are your best bet.

2. Decks 11, 12, 13 and 14 offer views outside from the pool deck, jogging path, topless sunbathing deck (don't worry, rarely used), etc. Again, though, these are so high up on the ship that you really lose the sense of motion and being on the seas altogether.

3. You'll find numerous decks at 11 and below that offer aft views, but don't wrap around to a promenade or anything else. Walking down several flights of stairs from these decks will bring you back to decks 6 and 7, where is the location of what Celebrity has chosen as a make-shift promenade on these ships.

Archived