Stanley - Bluff Cove vs. Sparrow Cove

JWC

We did the Bluff Cove last year and the opportunity to get "up close" beats all other penquin outings on this itinerary. There are only four to a vehicle and the local guide who drove us had many interesting observations. The viewing site is very windy, so dress accordingly. One can almost touch the penquins, I can highly recommend this experience.

And we did Sparrow Cove last year and would say virtually the same thing! From the dock in Stanley you take another, smaller boat to private property and are divided into four wheel drive vehicles. The terrain is very rough and the ride is a lot of fun (wouldn't recommend it for someone in a neck brace, however!). You are let out among the penguins - no paths or anything else to hinder from you getting as close to them as they will let you - which is actually very close, so close in fact that we had to keep backing away to get good photos. We laughed hysterically the whole time we were there because the penguins were SO much fun to watch. I would highly recommend it. It was not listed among our Princess excursions last year and we just happened by the tour desk as it was being posted. We booked it immediately and it sold out immediately. I'm not familiar with the other excursion but if they are as similar as they sound I'd go with the less expensive choice too, but I can't say enough good about this one. The women who drove our 4WD was the owner of the land & she told us so much about life in the Falklands. Have a great time!

Archived