Ixchel figurine/carving

akur23

I have a sort of strange request... a few years back, I was undergoing infertility treatments. On a cruise stop at Costa Maya, we had done the Chakchoben tour, and in the little hut they had outside, I bought a carving of Ixchel, the Mayan fertility goddess. I promised the fertility doctor I'd give it to him (we're still trying), but now I've met a friend who is studying to be a midwife and wants to decorate her home with fertility symbols. I'll be in Cozumel, but last time I looked there for another Ixchel to give to the nurse and did not find one. Does anyone know if there's anywhere in Cozumel (preferably walking distance) where I can find another Ixchel? :confused: TIA!

Thanks Solita and Rich. I didn't make it as far as the 5 Soles last time, but I'll try this time (hopefully we'll dock in town instead of Punta Langosta (?)). I love the one I have, but everyone I show it to wants one! :cool:

I think I found a place that has a variety to choose from! Another friend is checking for me and I will post as soon as I can - within the next day or so. The guys at the shop do the carvings themselves!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in getting one as well. I was delighted to read about the importance of this Mayan Goddess was in Cozumel's past.

Hubby and I have been trying for our first for 4 1/2 years and have been in fertility treatment for 3 years now. We recently tried IVF but unfortunately I had a miscarriage last week. But hopefully Ixchel might give me a little extra luck for our next round in January.

Thank you Caro for your research on this!

I haven't given up hope on finding her for ya'll. I have put out the word too so there are extra eyes looking for her. But the only one so far is the plaster one. I know she is out there in wood though!

• 2 weeks later...

I found a ceramic, colored one in the port (International), for $25; a clay one (bigger) for $20 (these were both in the upper level of the shops on the right side). I didn't buy either, waiting to see what I could find in Cedral. There I found a limestone one in blue for $20, which I ended up buying. Nothing like my pretty wood one that I found in Chacchoben (sp?), but pretty enough. In one store they told me that Ixchel was a male god and that the one with the baby was a different goddess, so I'll have to check my facts, although in all the other stores they knew what I was asking for. Good luck! I'll see if I can take a picture and post it.

Glad you were able to find one even though it wasn't exactly like the one you were hunting. I still haven't given up hope. If I see one, we can always arrange to get it to you somehow.

You got correct and incorrect info. Ixchel is a goddess. But she is not the one with the baby. I was just in Mx. City this past weekend and went to the Anthropology museum. They just re-opened the Maya exhibit hall and there she was, with her snake hair and crossbone skirt...not a very soothing sight. I have been told before that the lady with baby statue is Ixchel but it isn't.

Archived