Barcelona to Tangiers, quickest way?

CruzinFamilyof5

I wouldn't exactly call flying from Barcelona to Tangiers island hopping...Europe and Africa aren't normally considered islands...

But, a quick search on Kayak discovered that it is almost a 2 hour flight and flights are operated by Iberia and Royal Air Maroc and cost around £150 for a return flight.

I don't think that it would normally be considered a day trip from Barcelona...

Thank you, but I didn't say the countries were islands. The Mediterranean ports and African ports appear quite close to each other. I inquired about island hopping planes, because they are smaller and have frequent flights during the day at a low cost. We have ferries and island hopping planes that are used for day or overnight trips in the Pacific Northwest, Alaska and Hawaii. I was hoping they might have those available due to the proximity of the countries, but you're saying only larger commercial planes do that route?

Thank you, but I didn't say the countries were islands. The Mediterranean ports and African ports appear quite close to each other. I inquired about island hopping planes, because they are smaller and have frequent flights during the day at a low cost. We have ferries and island hopping planes that are used for day or overnight trips in the Pacific Northwest, Alaska and Hawaii. I was hoping they might have those available due to the proximity of the countries, but you're saying only larger commercial planes do that route?

Sorry for taking you literally...

As far as I am aware only commercial planes do this route. The two cities are about 590 miles apart (so further than San Francisco to Los Angeles as long as this distance finder is correct) as the crow flies, and since they are in two different countries you will have to clear immigration at both ends.

Also, I should add, I have travelled in both Morocco and Spain. If you want a taste of Moorish architecture and you already have time then I would suggest spending some time in Andalucía. I would suggest visiting the cities of Seville, Granada and Cordoba. You can see the highlights of a day in each. We flew London – Malaga and hired a car. Driving is very easy. But the train system is also very good and reasonably priced.

If you do want to visit Morocco I would suggest Fes and Marrakesh over Tangiers. Both are amazing. In Marrakesh it is very easy to sightsee on your own. In Fes I would recommend a guide for the souk as it is huge.

ok, we'll try to figure out our route to Marrakesh instead of Tangiers

Thanks! :)

It depends on how much time you have - I still wouldn't recommend it if you only have a day spare - it is even further from Barcelona than Tangier, so flights could be more expensive too.

For the authentic experience I would recommend staying in the Medina (old town) in a riad (traditional house built around a courtyard). Get a good guidebook - I would recommend Lonely Planet or Rough Guide.

If you are going in summer it will be very hot.

Archived