Panama Embera Indian Village

ron57nie

We are interested in doing the Embera Indian Village when in Panama but one of our travelers has recently had hip replacement surgery. If someone has done this excursion could you give us an opinion if the dugout canoe portion of the trip, or in fact any portion of the trip, will be to much for her. She will be about 7-8 weeks post surgery at this point and were just not sure how confining these canoes are.

I have read in several places including many guide books, that the Embera Indian Village is an incredible experience you are not likely to forget. My only problem with that excursion is that it does not include a visit to the Gatun Locks and most of us took this Cruise for the Panama Canal. So this remains a tough decision to make!

My husband and I did this excursion and really enjoyed it. The only problem I can see for your friend is the fact that you have to get off the boat and walk up a small hill. Not sure if that is a good idea for her (him) or not. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Maybe another time. Sorry, just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Jester -

We just got back from our trip on Carnival Miracle and we chose to do a private excursion in Panama with My Friend Mario and it allowed us to see both the Gatun Locks and the Embera Indian Village. It took the whole day but we had a fabulous time and it was the highlight of our trip. Go to http://www.myfriendmario.com/?page=dembera, we did Code: CL007 but did not go to the waterfall because of the weather.

Thank you for the MyfriendMario tip. We will be on the Zuiderdam and there was mention that people are not allowed off the ship at the Gatun Lake stop unless they are on a ship's excursion. I find that hard to believe but thought I would find out for sure from those who have done it.

Hi Steve... this looks like a great excursion... but just noticed it leaves from a Colon port... it doesn't pick up in Gatun Lake... the Carnival Miracle does not go through the locks into Gatun Lake... it's port of call is Colon, Panama from 7am-5pm... so don't think that is an option for our cruise... but I am sure you already know all this since you are such a great researcher... ;)

Archived