pirate's ball

cruise junky joan

What is the pirate's ball that I have been hearing about on various threads? Is this held on every sailing or just crossings ? I can't find anything in my Cunard info. regarding this. Should we plan on bringing costumes and if so how elaborate should they be? Will just a demi mask be sufficient? Any advice would be appreciated as we are leaving in a few weeks and I need to get on the ball if this is something that needs to be arranged. thanks Joan

We are on the 11-16 NY/Caribbean cruise. Page 16 of the our Voyage Information booklet list the "Royal Nights" for that cruise. In addition to the Captain's Gala Ball, it indicates that the other "Royal Night" is a Pirate Ball

(Informal, Pirate Costume Optional) one night. It is described as "the more informal and swashbuckling Pirate Ball."

thanks for the response. Our travel agency didn't see the need to forward our pre-cruise documents, instead they through them away, so the only info. I have is what I can get off this web site. It would be nice to hear from someone who has already been to this party to find out what other people were wearing and what is expected. Joan

Joan, you can go "overboard" (no pun intended) on your costume or not.

My adult daughter and I always plan on very elaborate costumes because we seldom get that chance at home. We also get our heavy luggage shipped ahead to the ship so we can "dress up" every evening--formal or not.

Joan, the Pirates Ball is offered on the Caribbean cruises. I am trying to remember how many people actually dressed up. There were definitely some and their costumes were very festive. We did not dress up and felt very comfortable with our decision. Our table mates brought wonderful costumes and looked great in them. You will be fine to dress up or not. The mask that you mentioned would be all you would need. There were definitely people who dressed up but there were plenty of those who did not. I believe they gave some prizes for the best costumes. I pulled out my Daily Programme for the Pirate's Ball and found this: "Bandannas, eye patches, and pirate's hats will be available for purchase for $10". If you do not want to take costumes but would like to dress up, that might be a good solution. The Pirates Ball was held on an Informal night. Even though we were not dressed in a costume, we went to the Ball and enjoyed it very much.

Joan,

Just to let you know, people didn't wear their costumes to dinner, but changed into them for the party, which started at 10pm. But we were in the early seating for dinner, so maybe the late seating diners wore theirs to dinner.

Our group all brought costumes, and it was great fun to be part of the festivities. Most people were not in costume, but I think they missed out on some of the fun. Certainly the $10 hat, patch and bandana would spice up any outfit to give you a pirate look. Put it together with a white blouse, black pants, and a red scarf or sash around your waist, and you're set to go! If you have mardi gras type beads, bring them to wear. They're a great accessory to the costume.

The entertainment staff do a great job to get people involved in the activities, but nothing is tacky or embarrassing.

Have a great time!!

Archived