Dress Code

DonW

MSC's web site states,

"Q: Is there a dress code?

A: Lightweight, loose-fitting clothing is ideal for daytime usage. Neat casual wear is requested after 6:00 pm. For the three formal nights, cocktail dresses for women and suits or jacket and tie for men are appropriate.

This is inconsistent with the booklet enclosed with my Opera tickets which state,

"Smart casual wear is required for the evenings, and men are usually asked to wear a jacket and tie. There are gala evenings on all cruises. On these nights, ladies should wear cocktail or evening dresses, while men will not be out of place in a tuxedo or dinner jacket.

I interpret the neat casual wear as no coat & tie.

Anyone have a different interpretation or can advise what is expected on the US-bound MSC ships?

Thanks,

Don W.

Don

Based on my experience you are correct.

When the daily programme specified the days dress for dinner as "casual" majority opted for no jacket and tie. I generally wore dark trousers and a neat long sleeved shirt with open neck and always fitted in. One evening I did wear a jacket and tie (not a suit) and felt overdressed amongst the other diners.

For the "formal" dinners I wore a lounge suit and for the "gala" nights - dinner suit. About 50% wore tux or dinner suit and 48% lounge suits. Less said about the other 2% the better!!

When we did the Lirica, there were a lot of tuxedos on formal nights. Dear Old Dad wore jacket and tie other nights...save one. People at our table were quite surprised he was so casual! Whatever you are comfortable wearing (but not looking ready to go work out!) will be fine.

Happy sailing!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived