RCCL St John's Island Tour- why max age of 80?

My Mom went to book the St Johns Island tour in St Thomas and it has a max age of 80. My grandmother is a very, very young 83 (her mom lived until 104). She is actually better on her feet than people much younger than her! Why is there an age max on this tour, I am very curious as to why. And don't flame me, but if we book it for her will she be turned away or is the age cap just a 'recommendation'. Thanks!

Here is the description:

Departing via tour boat to St. John, known as the "Emerald of the Caribbean", you'll arrive in the charming town of Cruz Bay, where you will board an open-air safari bus for a scenic drive around this beautiful island. Along the way, your driver/guide will provide insights about the island's rich history, lush, tropical foliage and its indigenous wildlife. In addition to seeing the white-sand beaches and views of the British Virgin Islands, you'll see remnants of ruins from one of the last working plantations found on St. John. Back along the coast, you'll stop at scenic overlooks such as Cinnamon Bay, Trunk Bay, Hawksnest Bay and Caneel Bay, overlooking the famous Rockefeller Plantation. The tour concludes at the dock in the quaint town of Cruz Bay, where you'll board your tour boat for the return journey to St. Thomas and your ship.

Note: Maximum age to participate is 80 years old.

Thanks for posting this. We'll be in St. Thomas next year. My mom will be 81. Unless there is something I'm not seeing in the description I think I'd have more trouble at 43 than she would at 81. She's better at the daily exercise, etc. than I am.

Spoke with RCI. It is a restriction that is placed on the tour by the local operator.

Ours was for anyone over 50! Seems someone had a heart attack and they could nto get medical care to the guy, so they figured they would add their own age limit.

In your case, they may have run into a problem with a senior who was 81 and decided no more folks over 80.

There is little if anything RCI can do, except change vendors.

Archived