Samana

wack001

There is absolutely nothing at this port. We have been to almost all of the islands in the Caribbean. My wife and I went to the resort. It was a 55 minute bus ride on way but was well worth the money. They give you free alcohol and food. The six hour tour maybe was an hour too long. The price of $55 dollars you couldn't go wrong. We were there last December. The have a large beach and sandy swimming area. A lot of French and Canadian's were at the resort mostly older (45). The whale watching was what I was going to do, but to many people on these message boards said they got sick. It was very wavy when we tendered into port. People said the beach island was good also.

Hope this helps.

Scott

We were there in August and took the ATV excusion. I think it was the best excursion I have done in 14 cruises. The weather was beautiful and the scenery was beautiful. We went to a beach, and took a hike to a waterfall. It is a bumpy ride and you get really dusty but it was worth it. The people on the island are so precious. The kids run out and slap you five as you go by.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone on Cruise Critic mentioned that you should book with Casa Dorado @ http://www.casadoradodr.com/excursions.html. We need a group of 10 people to book a snorkeling excursion. We are cruising with NCL Jewel 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise Jan 9th and the first port of call is Samana. We have four people in our group and are looking for six more people to join us. The total price for 10 people is $250 plus $100 taxi fare. . . details below from Catherine Guzman/DeLaura at Casa Dorado:

Snorkeling at LaPlayita/Playa Rincon Excursion - Round-trip boat ride to la Playita to snorkel followed by swimming at Playa Rincon. The price of the trip is $250 for up to 10 people. Lunch can be ordered in La Playita and cooked while you snorkel.

We are located in Las Galeras, which is 18 miles from Samana. We can reserve a taxi that will be waiting for you on the Samana boat dock and will bring you straight to Las Galeras main beach and return you at your leisure. The taxi is $100 for up to 10 people. The taxi is a large van/small bus that easily fits 10 passengers.

If you are going on the same cruise and are interested in joining our group, please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just returned from my first cruise on Norwegian Dawn. We were in Samana on January 12. I too wanted to go whale watching, but the cruise lines don't start offering that excursion until later in January because there is no guarantee that you'll find whales until then.

Instead, our little group booked the Cayo Levantado beach escape. We booked it throught the ship the night before becasue we had heard that there isn't much in the port. It's a little pricey $45 considering that it basically includes a ride from the ship to the island (no need to tender to port).

Once on the island I had no complaints. The beach and the water are wonderful. The drinks and food are cheap, but not included. We bought a painting in the local craftsman village that was set up in an area away from the beach.

There were modern toilets and changing areas, and the beach chairs were free (only place in the Caribbean we saw that).

Snorkelling wasn't the best, but I knew that in advance. There are fish to see if you swim down to the rocks, but they aren't in geat abundance.

Overall it was a great day and I would consider doing it again if we ever go back there.

Archived