Packing for cruise on Fantasy-How?

cassie225

Experts tell me if I am doing this right. I really don't want to be saddled down with a lot of stuff to carry around until my cabin is ready,but these are must have things for me. I will have small overnight case(they used to call them train carry-ons) It has a shoulder strap and will be no problem to carry around,but I would also like to have a small rolling piece to put my water,soda and wine. I have heard sometimes they burst inside luggage and I don't want it to mess up my clothes. Should I check that piece or roll it around with me as there will be glass and plastic. Last but not least,I will check my large piece of luggage. Does this sound like a good plan. Suggestions. I really would like to keep my drinking stuff with me. Will it be too much to handle? Thanks

Do you really need to have ALL your drinking stuff with you? Choosing a bottle or two of water, and a bottle of soda (or wine) to carry on should suffice. Especially since you will have access to the free beverages on board as soon as you board.

My carry-on usually includes my swimsuit, sunglasses, sunscreen, a bottle of water, a deck of cards, hand sanitizer, my medications, a good book, my mp3 player, my camera, my documents, and my money.

Yes, it will be too much, unless you plan on staking out a table on lido and staying in the same spot until your room is ready. Some people go to their rooms and drop off carry ons while the stewards are cleaning. But I like to stay out of their way. Their job is tough enough already. It may not seem like a lot to have 2 carry-on's, one of which is loaded with liquid, but many of the port check-in areas are a maze of escalators and narrow hallways, lot's of walking involved. Then you get on the ship with small elevators, lot's of floor surface changes, high thresholds, etc. If you want to walk around, explore the ship, etc, I would pack as many of the fluids as possible in checked luggage. As long as you pack well, and your suitcase is not a soft, collapsible nylon duffel bag, your drinks wont leak. Put them in a large zip-loc or clean garbage bag and pad them with clothes. What we have done in the past is go to a thrift store and buy an old, medium sized, hard sided suitcase for a couple bucks. Pack it with nothing but fluids, it'll weigh about 90 pounds if you bring as much as we do, and check it with a porter. That way, if there is a leak, it won't ruin any clothes. After the cruise we just leave the suitcase to be adopted by a staff member or discarded.

It's "do-able", especially if your rolling bag has a long handle, which most do. You can set your other bag on top of the rolling bag, running the rolling bag's handle through the strap on the other bag to secure them together. Then you really only have one piece of luggage to handle.

Maybe y'all are right. Take the essentials as a carry on- pack water and soda in luggage to be checked(padded). And check two pieces of luggage-leaving a piece that I purchase at thrift shop behind. FINALLY the light bulb goes off over the top of my head and it all seems so simple now. We are allowed to check two pieces.right. I really need to do my homework.

Maybe y'all are right. Take the essentials as a carry on- pack water and soda in luggage to be checked(padded). And check two pieces of luggage-leaving a piece that I purchase at thrift shop behind. FINALLY the light bulb goes off over the top of my head and it all seems so simple now. We are allowed to check two pieces.right. I really need to do my homework.

I've never heard of a limit on # of bags you can check on a ship.

We just take our bathing suits, camera and cell phones. If its nice, which I dont think it will be on Monday, you can get a jump on the pool/waterworks, and its fun to call everyone before you lose signal to tell them you're on the ship. If you cant get into your room until 130, you dont want to be running around the ship for a couple hours carrying a lot of stuff.

Archived