How to plan several days in San Juan

ilya12000

Hello everyone,

I just copy the post from the another thread, as I'm afraid it could be lost in the long thread

I have a question to experienced people.

We are coming to SJ on Dec.17 after 4 pm. Our cruise is on Dec. 19 late evening. Cruise comes back on Dec. 30 morning and our flight back is on the next day at 3 pm.

So we have "in our pocket" : Dec. 17 - evening; Dec. 18 - whole day; Dec. 19 - up to ~6pm, Dec. 29 - almost whole day (after disembarcation and check-in in the hotel) and Dec. 30 - morning.

My plan was to go from the airport to hotel (Sheraton old) by taxi. Spend this evening strolling at Old SJ. The next day morning to rent a car (for 2 days) and go to El Younque and then to biotour (one of two). On December 29 we wanted to take Segway tour and also to spend day in Old SJ.

My question: what is worth to do on Dec. 19 while having a car and time up to 6pm. I'm not so much in beaches, especially taken in account we'll have them enough during the cruise. I'm more in nature or architecture sightseeing. What could be your advise to us to do?

I thank everyone in advance for any advice.

Ilya

Personally, I think the only way to really experience PR is to have a car and explore. It is a big diverse island with tons to see and do. So yes, I think it is totally worth it to have a car.

For architecture, you may want to really explore OSJ.

And what nature stuff do you like to do? There is everything from exhilarating ATV, ziplines or even skydiving adventures, to relaxing gardens. etc.

For something close, and mild-moderate activity level, you can try Pinones- bike the trail, kayak the lagoon, then grab some good food and relax waterfront. http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/pinones-mangrove-forest-nature-boardwalk-waterfront-fun/

Relaxing- The "gardens" here are not landscaped flowers beds, they are lots of tropical trees, plants and flowers in a more natural setting. http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/passing-some-time-in-the-botanical-garden-jardin-botanico/

Give us some more specifics and what you like and there will be more suggestions on how to fill up your vacation time!

Thank you, coquishideaway. You are I think the best adviser in this forum!

Tell me, please, do you think it's interesting to travel to south of Puerto Rico, in Ponce direction? And if we have enough time this day (not later than 6pm we are supposed to be in Hotel back?)

About nature: it's difficult to me answer shortly on your question. I like something that is really catch eyes, not just generally nice view. It could be interesting coastline, mountains, not usual trees or flowers. It could include just car trip, hiking, may be some biking (I have a problem with my hip joint). Let's say that for me the Paradise was on Hawaii with so many unusual views. Every island was something different from the others, even different parts of the same island were not the same. Let's say I'm looking for strong impressions in sightseeing. I don't know how clear did I explain it, taking in account that English is not my mother tongue.

Thank you again,

Ilya

Well, then skip the gardens. They are not fantastic broad view wise.

Pinones is broadly beautiful. Up close there is a lot of trash around, but the broad view of the coastline is great. Take the rd 187 all along it, very pretty.

About Ponce. You may enjoy it. You have enough time to get there (from SJ it is about a 1-1.5hr drive). It is interesting to see the changes in the flora as you drive. You end up going up and over the central mountain range. The south side of the island is dry, so the views are very different. I find some of the mountain views from the south remind me of Hawaii.

What you may want to do when you get there.....hard to say- I have only been there a few times (maybe once a year). There may be a city tour you can get on, or a boat over to coffin island. You need reservations if you want to do the Hacienda Buena Vista coffee tour. You would have to leave by about 4:30 to get back to SJ by 6p.

You could take part of the Ruta Panoramica (scenic drive). But that road is very twisting and turning and slow going. You may not have the time.

Archived