Summer 2009 - advice

MrsDave

I understand if you have flexibility you can get a great deal if you wait to see if the ships have space closer to the sailing date.

My question is...what is the feeling of the economy causing more availability and deeper discounts..

Do you feel that the River Cruise companies will offer more discounts?

Just trying to make some decisions..

Thanks as always for advice.

Tina

These days it's a "wait and see" game. All the cruiselines seem to be changing things as they go along. If bookings continue to stay low, they will try to do what they can to clear the inventory. There is aleady such good deals out there, 2 for 1's, thousands off early bookings, I can't imagine what else that they will do.

River cruise companies haven't historically cut prices as much as the large cruiselines have and they're sure not going to give them away.....

The most popular ones will still sell out though.

We got an excellent deal on a Grand Circle (GCT) cruise in October - November by waiting for one of their last minute deals (we booked less than two weeks before we sailed). Plus, we saved an additional $100/person, by being referred by a past traveler. I can now do that for you. You can send any questions to me at csepstein@mindspring.com

All in all, I believe this was the best deal out there!

Stan (Car-Stan)

I know that Grand Circle is putting a few of their boats into dry dock for an undetermined amount of time. The River Harmony, which I was just on, had one cruise left and then that was it. The hotel manager told me they didn't know when it would be sailing again as the company was waiting for the economy to turn around. If this is really what is happening, and I have no reason to doubt that it is, with fewer boats on the river the last minute deals might be harder to come by. Certain trips will always sell out quicker than others. If there is a trip you really want to do, just book it and don't look back.

Thanks for all the advice...it's so crazy out there now..

Tina

Tina:

You may want to look at Scenic River crusie, they offer tons of discounts these days. Don't need to wait until closer to sailing dates.

I just booked a Moselle and Rhine river cruise for next September. June sailing has even better discount, but it is too close to our Jan/Feb trip, so I opted for Sept. sailing.

Ricky

Archived