Using a Scooter in a Non HC Room on RCCL Oasis

berbet

I'm afraid it won't be durable enough for me. I went to their website and read about them as I was intrigued after I'd read your post. I love the theory of it but afraid it won't work for me. Is it really that durable for the larger person? And there is no reverse. I'm also concerned if we were to take it to Disney that it doesn't have enough umph to make it up longer hills like at Animal Kingdom or at the huge incline from the coffee shop to the lobby at the Wilderness Lodge. If I'm going to spend that much $ I want to make sure it will be good in all situatons.

We have had good luck taking my folding wheelchair, I take the foot rests off with me on the plane and they bring it back at the end of the flight. On the last 10 + flights it has worked well...make sure you have your name on the chair. At disney I used my chair to get to the places that they rent the scooters in each park, and left my chair there until I came back at the end of the day...we found it is a very long walk to the stroller/scooter area in each park. We stayed in the park in a wheelchair accessible room, and used their accessible bus transportation to each park. This worked real well for me.

While we were in Animal Kingdom their scooter stopped, they brought me a new one. I think it cost about $30 day, make sure you go early to get one, even thought they have many they go quickly.

I would never think to take my scooter on the plane, I have heard about too many horor stories.

Enjoy your trip

Berbet...I realized I did not answer all your questions...getting reasonable accessible travel is something I have not had good luck with. We are taking a cruise from FLL in 1 month, I will take my own wheelchair and rent a scooter for the ship from Carevacations.com (also called cruiseship assist) they may rent equipement in Fla, but I have never used them for that because unless you have a way to trandport the scooter and that could be a problem.

Unless you are a very small person (150# or less) the small scooters are not comfortable. I am tall with long legs and I cannot sit on them, plus my prosthesis will not bend that way.

I have seen them on the ships, and they are good for getting around the ship, but not much else in my opinion.

If I can help you with anything else just ask.

I have a pride gogo elite and I have taken 2 huge trips with it. 2 weeks to Hawaii on the Summit, and 21 days on the Constellation. I drive my scooter to the plane door, they take it and return it upon landing. NO DAMAGE!!!! This is Soutwest airlines and they are VERY good! I drive my scooter on and off the ship at the ports. I have even had it on the tenders! Go drive one at the store and then you can make a judgement.

Nancie

Thanks, Nanci. That's good to know that SWA is so careful. We always fly them. I called Cruise Ship Assist today and they said that all their scooters except the super heavy duty one will fit through a standard cabin door. The scooters are only 23" wide. They rent so many to the ships that they must know. If they are sure, I'd rather just rent one there and avoid the hassle of traveling with it.

Thanks, Nanci. That's good to know that SWA is so careful. We always fly them. I called Cruise Ship Assist today and they said that all their scooters except the super heavy duty one will fit through a standard cabin door. The scooters are only 23" wide. They rent so many to the ships that they must know. If they are sure, I'd rather just rent one there and avoid the hassle of traveling with it.

That is what they told me too. I guess we'll see if it fits, I really don't think it will; but I will let you all know.

BERBET:

Last year when we were at Disney World my mom had injured her foot (torn achilles tendon) and needed a scooter, she rented from an off site company, (scootarama http://www.scootarama.com/ and care medical http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/scooters.htm are 2 she contacted) they delivered it to our resort, she was able to drive it onto the disney buses, monorail and the ferry's. She couldn't have walked from the bus depot to the area where the parks rent the scooters and you can't take them out of the parks. At the end of our trip, she drove it to the bell stand, they stored it and Scootarama came and picked it up.

No problems what so ever!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I am having knee problems which is causing a mobility issue. I can't walk around the grocery store right now so walking around Oasis is going to be an issue. I would like to rent a scooter for the cruise. We have a regular stateroom. No HC available on our voyage. Will RCCL let me bring a scooter if I can't have a non HC room? I'm sure it can't be kept in the hallway due to fire code. Are they happy to stow it away when I'm not using it? I need a heavy duty one so it won't be able to be taken apart and brought into my room at night. Any suggestions? No, we don't want to reschedule to another date. Thanks.

I have sailed RCCL in a nonHC caabin before witn a scooter. I always get a cbin near the elevators and park the scooter there. You can charge it there but you need a 220 adapter. Another time we parked it outside the cbin to charge it with an extension cord. RCCL says you have to take it in your room but they never said anything about leaving the scooter overnight outside the cabin. I have been in non-HC cabins where the scooter could be taken into the cabin as long as I was off the scotter and backed it in. we did have to lift the front to straighten the scooter out but it was light enough. Note I have serious back problem and weigh over300lbs. I rent a 3 wheel pride and it had a really small turning radius, especially backing up. Good luck.

Hello, I have a GoGo EliteTravellerPlus and it is a small travel scooter that has a bottom footrest that is 4 inches longer (40in) than the regular GoGo. I needed that length because my knees don't bend well. It is rated for up to 300 lbs. They also have a GoGo Elite Traveller Plus HD rated for up to 325 lbs. My scooter is 21" wide, and I just had it in a non HC cabin on Princess. They told me that the door width was 24", but that included the door itself, which was about 1 3/4". My scooter just cleared the doorway. We did have a minisuite and there was room to park it and my folding wheelchair. The chair against the non opening side of the window and the scooter against the wall in the seating area. I don't know where you'd park it in a regular cabin, BUT, those Pride GoGo's come apart very easily and could be stashed in several spots.

If something like that would work for you, you might try renting one at home and bringing it with you. By the way, I have taken mine on many airplanes and it works very well. I ride to the door of the plane, they take it down below and bring me my key.......or they free wheel it and leave me my key. They bring it back up to the airplane door when we arrive at our destination and I ride it on to where ever we are going next. I put stickers all over it with my name and address, and I scan and copy the directions for assembly/disassembly and wire them onto the basket with a twist tie. I also tape an "instruction" sheet onto the back saying things like, "Please don't lift by the seat, it is not attached" and "Scooter weighs 98 lbs", "Scooter has sealed batteries", etc. I have not had any damage with this scooter and there are no wires to assemble/disassemble as there were on my old scooter. This scooter uses 17ah batteries and I can go for several days without recharging if I want to. Oh, and when we travel, the scooter is light enough to disassemble and put into a large car trunk or mini van. Dh can just pick it up and put it in assembled, I can't do that......

Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.....

Archived