How well do cell phones work aboard ship?

Prettygirl

Carnival now has cell phone coverage aboard ship when you are at sea. It costs around $2.49 a minute more or less but can you get cell phone reception in the staterooms?

We have a business that requires 24 hour phone coverage so being able to receive calls means the difference of a cruise out of San Diego or driving to Las Vegas!

Carnival now has cell phone coverage aboard ship when you are at sea. It costs around $2.49 a minute more or less but can you get cell phone reception in the staterooms?

We have a business that requires 24 hour phone coverage so being able to receive calls means the difference of a cruise out of San Diego or driving to Las Vegas!

My brother used his cell phone several times a day to check on his business. It can get expensive, but he never dropped a call. DW and I put our phones in the safe after we get into our cabin. But not before I make some calls from the Lido deck to friends not on the cruise with us. :D

I did use mine often on one cruise and I didn't always have coverage. I don't think I would count on 24 hour coverage....I don't know why, but it was down at times....that was my experience anyway.

I feel your pain...my husband was in the same 'boat' (so to speak) last week on our trip to Cozumel. He is the engineer of record on a big housing project just getting started...and had to be available 24/7 to put out fires. He was able to get good reception almost everywhere, but dropped one call in the stateroom. The rest completed fine. Can't wait to see the bill from AT&T. My son and I used ours a few times to text each only, so that we could rendezvous with him and the GF for dinner. It did provide some peace of mind...a lot of people like the Walkies, but I found them very annoying, when they were used loudly in a somewhat quiet spot.

Archived