Not getting all the fuel surcharge back?

TinaJ04463

We got an email from our TA last week that our fuel surcharge had been reversed and our new total is now $60 lower. For 2 people on a 6 night, I had calculated $108 at $9 a day. Is a 6 day calculated differently? We are making final payment in person tomorrow and will question this, but her latest email to us indicated that Carnival accounting was slow, and she had gotten new updated figures today, which were the same as last week's with the exception of one couple and child, theirs has gone up! So, what are your thoughts on this?

TinaJ

We got an email from our TA last week that our fuel surcharge had been reversed and our new total is now $60 lower. For 2 people on a 6 night, I had calculated $108 at $9 a day. Is a 6 day calculated differently? We are making final payment in person tomorrow and will question this, but her latest email to us indicated that Carnival accounting was slow, and she had gotten new updated figures today, which were the same as last week's with the exception of one couple and child, theirs has gone up! So, what are your thoughts on this?

TinaJ

When did you book your cruise? Was the FS $5 at the time?

last spring, shortly after we got off the Freedom in April. Same ship, different itinerary, 6 days.

TinaJ

You must have booked before April 21 then. Prior to April 21, the FS was $5 per person per day. $5x2x6 = $60.

After April 21, FS was $7 per person per day.

We got off the Freedom and had paid $7 a day, why did it go down? That makes no sense to me at all!!

TinaJ

That doesn't make sense. Are you sure you paid $7? Bookings made between November 15, 2007(I think...not 100% positive of the start date) and April 20, 2008 were charged $5 per person per day. Bookings made April 21 to sometime over the summer were charged $7 per person per day. What are the exact dates you cruised on Freedom? And when are you going again? I'm going April 19.

I am sure you paid $5. per day per person like the post above states. Here is an article from cruise critic.

Quick Search

Cruise News

Home > Cruise News Archive > Carnival Increases Fuel Supplement

Date Archived: May 9, 2008

More current news for Carnival Cruise Lines:

Princess Elects to Celebrate Inauguration

P&O Australia Passenger Rescued After Going Overboard

Will Carnival's New Early Saver Fares Save You Money?

Carnival Cruise Lines Profile and Reviews

Latest Cruise News Headlines

Carnival Increases Fuel Supplement

Carnival made headlines last week for voluntarily agreeing to refund the fuel charges levied on guests who'd booked their cruise prior to the implementation of the fuel charge policy. What the line neglected to mention then was its plans to up the surcharge on new bookings.

Effective for all new bookings made on or after April 21, Carnival's fuel surcharge will increase from $5 to $7 per person per day, based on double occupancy. In addition, a fuel supplement of $2 per person per day will apply to third, fourth and fifth guests in a cabin. Total fuel charges are not to exceed $98 per person per voyage for the first two passengers and $28 per person per voyage for any other passengers sharing the cabin. The fee increase applies to six of the Carnival Corporation's cruise lines: Carnival, Holland America, Princess, Costa, Cunard and Seabourn.

In early March, Royal Caribbean was the first company to voluntarily remove fuel surcharges on guests who'd booked cruises without being informed of the new fees. The change in policy was due to pressure by the Florida Attorney General's Office, which had been investigating the fuel surcharges. At the end of last month, the Carnival Corporation followed Royal Caribbean's lead and reversed its charges as well. At that time, no announcement was made that the line intended to raise the fees on future bookings.

The price hike actually does not make Carnival's fuel surcharge the most expensive in the industry -- Cruise West charges $12 per person per day. However, Carnival can no longer be counted among the cruise lines with the lowest fuel taxes -- that territory now belongs to Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara. Disney is still one of the only major cruise lines to not charge a fuel supplement.

We got off the Freedom and had paid $7 a day, why did it go down? That makes no sense to me at all!!

TinaJ

Never mind, I just found my sign and sail, we got $70 onboard credit since we booked well in advance of the addition of the fuel surcharge. It was $5 a day then, when did it go up??

That doesn't make sense. Are you sure you paid $7? Bookings made between November 15, 2007(I think...not 100% positive of the start date) and April 20, 2008 were charged $5 per person per day. Bookings made April 21 to sometime over the summer were charged $7 per person per day. What are the exact dates you cruised on Freedom? And when are you going again? I'm going April 19.

We will be on the same cruise!!

Tina

Archived