best whale and wildlife excursions - Island Princess

jmhlaw

We booked the Voyage of the Glaciers June 8 northbound. My wife and I are doing a lengthy land tour later in the summer and this cruise is mainly for my 6 year old daughter and 70 year old father-in-law who want to see Alaska but aren't up for long rides or overly active excursions. Both want to see whales and other wildlife. Recognizing that options are limited on a cruise only trip, what are the best excursions (private or Princess) for whale whatching and wildlife viewing. Also any other suggestions for unique experiences for these two would be greatly appreciated. Ports:Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Anchorage.

I guess you can tell just from the 1st page of the board for Alaska that after reading the posts that there are many many options for excursions. You can't do them all unfortunately so the research helps you narrow your options.

You did mention whale watching. The best port is Juneau and there are several companies there. The popular independents are Harv & Marv and Orca Enterprises. You will also have a option through your ship.

As far as your 6 year old daughter, when we were in Ketchikan we did do the Lumber Jack Show for our 5 & 9 year old grand daughters on our trip and they enjoyed it alot. It is right by the ship and is not expensive and is not very long. This should give you time to see other things.

Skagway is known for the railroad. We enjoyed this tour alot.

You are the one that knows your families like and dislikes. I don't think you will have any trouble finding something for them.

You will enjoy the scenery the most!:)

We'll be sailing on Royal in Sept, only port we have that's the same as you is Juneau. I have found a lot of excursions in Juneau. Even the Jueno Parks and Rec department has activities and free trail guides. There's the Mt Roberts tram w/ museum, hiking, etc at the top (here's an Alaskan government link for more details including wildlife in the area:

http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=trails.site&site_id=1&locale_id=1, a salmon hatchery, ziplining (not sure of age restrictions - 6 yr old might be too young, but 70 is not too old), Floatplane Tours, Whale Watching (I've heard Orca and Harv & Marv). I keep reading about how great the hiking trails are! Here's a link w/ more info about hiking/trails: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19815157/

We have booked a Mendenhall glacier trekking hike.

~Denise

Just noticed we'll also be in Skagway, another of your stops. As luvlake says, the White Pass & Yukon RR is recommended alot, there's different ways to do it too, you can ck their website. Also, it's been recommended as a good place to rent a car and go sight-seeing, hiking on your own. There's also a helicopter/dog sledding excursion that sounds like a lot of fun, but pricey, and only available during certain times due to glacier conditions. And fishing with Chilkoot's Cpt Larry, Chilkoot does other types of tours also. We're tentatively planning on doing the RR to the Laughton Glacier trail, and hiking on our own ... we're going in Sept, so the dog sledding is not available at that time.

~Denise

Archived