Sterling Silver Jewelry....where?

Kim

Last year when we were in Cozumel the amount of silver jewelry was incredibly overwhelming! I felt like a kid in a candy store!! The prices where very high and ended up going quite a bit down. It seemed like we would have done better going down the "side streets" rather than shopping on the main street, but I had my kids and they where impatient. We leave Saturday on the Mariner and I would love to get any hints on where to go for great deals on silver. I have the map of the main street with all the side streets listed that we were given last year, so if anyone knows which street is best, please let me know!

thanks!

You're right. Venture off the main street and a few blocks away from the plaza and you'll get better deals on EVERYTHING! Typically, "mainstreet" shops will not bargain on jewelry.

If you're buying silver, be sure the "925" stamp which guarantees it's silver is on the piece that you buy. If your ship doesn't leave until later at night, your best deal will come toward the end of the night. Try the shops around 7 PM. Shop owners know when the ships leave so they'll give you a better deal closer to departure time.

I hope to buy some nice silver bangles for my daughter and her friends. Any idea of what kind of prices I can expect? Is there a shop that has really unique silver jewlery, I would like to buy a piece for myself but I would want something really unique.

Allison

Silver bangles can be purchased for as little as $1 each, especially in the small "mom and pop" stores. For that kind of purchase I like to go to the flea market on Calle 1 between 5 and 10 Avenidas, right downtown. To get there, find the huge flagpole on the waterfront. Put your back to it and walk inland a block and a little bit. There's a sandwish board on the left advertising the flea market. It's an aleey of small shops and those with silver have a nice variety and "flexible" prices. Don't let the idea of an alley scare you. Cozumel is very safe!

For something unique, Cinco Soles has beautiful silver pieces at fixed prices.

Enjoy!

Is it true that I cannot rely on looking for the 925 stamp on silver jewelry to indicate that it really is sterling? Someone told me today that just about everything is stamped in Mexico and to get good quality I should only buy from large jewelers like Cinco Soles. That really takes the fun out of bargain shopping. Anyone know how to tell if it is genuine sterling or not??

• 4 weeks later...

Island Annie, Mrs PB Tom has a silver stand on the Fury Beach, which is only used by the Fury catamarans. You can walk there from Paradise Beach, but there's no place to enter from the street as it is private. If you have specific items in mind, Tom may be able to bring them to PB, but you would have to check with him. For me, half the fun is the browsing so that may not be what you want to do.

NeedstoCruise: I have a million errands today and a full day of massages tomorrow, so I probably won't have an answer for you until later this week. It just depends on how today goes. Size 6 or 7, got it!

Elaine, I am having a calendar ring re-sized to six, ready to pickup today. The price will be $15 or less. I have a friend leaving for the States on Saturday who can mail it to you. It might be an extra $2 for mailing. Please email me at barefoot@prodigy.net.mx with your address and I will email you back with a U.S. address to send a check once you receive the ring. I hope it's okay that I went ahead with this...

Archived