Arcadia Baltic/Christmas Market Cruise Dec 2009

flossieB

Hi There

I am thinking about above cruise for my Husbands birthday. We are early to mid 50's

Has anyone been on this before? I was wondering about the Ports if it's easy to do your own thing or is it best to go with the organised trips.

We have cruised before but never with P&O and because of the time of year thought an inside cabin would be fine.

Any advice gratefuuly received

Hi

We did this cruise last month on Aurora. It really was wonderful. Thoroughly recommend it. We are in our 50s and the kids in their 20s.

We had an inside cabin and that was fine. Not much call for a balcony really. The ship was decorated and beautiful. Much of the entertainment was Christmas oriented including the films. Captain and Cruise Director lead carol singing in the restaurant one evening.

We had been to all the ports except one before in summer months, so we just wanted to see the Christmas markets. All were in walking distance with the aid of the shuttle buses. Except Burge where we caught the train from Blankenburgh (shuttle bus from ship to Blankenburgh). The train fare was 5 euro each return. Train leaves at 10 past the hour and the return is at 38 minutes past the hour. Bit of a walk from station to Bruge centre - 15 minutes through a nice park. Much cheaper than a tour. The kids went on one tour to Flanders Field as they had not been before. That is an awesome tour, very emotional. Loved all the ports, very Christmassy except Amstardam but we were looking to do tax paid shopping there anyway. We did the evening tour to Tivioli Gardens because we got lazy!! And thought it would be easier. It was and very good, but think as a family of four we could have got a taxi much cheaper. Certainly go to see the lights at Tivioli, but as it begins to get dark around 4pm you dont actually have to go in the evening.

Saw snow on wonderful sail in to Oslo, bit of snow in the city, but not much. People on one of the tours saw much more. It was cold, but we wrapped up warm and did not mind it too much. Luckily although the weather was rather dull and overcast (I was expecting it to be colder, crisper and brighter) we did not have rain.

We all had a wonderful cruise. Really enjoyed it. Would love to do it again. Only trouble is you have to get organised and get your Christmas cards posted before you go!!!

Any questions let me know.

Heather

Many thanks for info really helpful we will probably go ahead and book.

At least there wont be a problem trying to find a sunbed on deck!! Did you use the hydro pool? I just wondered how expensive it would be. I

am not a great lover of days at sea so thinking of things to do

Thanks Again:o

Many thanks for info really helpful we will probably go ahead and book.

At least there wont be a problem trying to find a sunbed on deck!! Did you use the hydro pool? I just wondered how expensive it would be. I

am not a great lover of days at sea so thinking of things to do

Thanks Again:o

I have read only good reviews of this cruise - it is a lovely christmasy cruise - go for it!

The hydropool spa is wonderful on Arcadia I have used it alot, about £10 for a 2hr session, ideal on a seaday.

Here are some photos of Arcadia,

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia#

Great photo's - you were busy

We will def give spa a visit as have just booked which seems rather topical with the weather here.

Only thing not looking forward to is the dreaded 'Xmas Cards to do before hand

Thanks for advice

Flossie

Archived