wreck of the rhone

aelittleb

You might try posting this on the SCUBA board here on CC, but I'll try to answer.

My DH and DD are open water certified. I don't know what depth that allows, but they did this dive. Neither of them has any other classes or certifications, just open water.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband & I did this dive last May and had a wonderful time! We have just our open water certs, not advanced. (This was also only our 2nd day of diving since having completed our open water check-out dives!)

Typically, the dive masters on this dive are all dive instructors- though I would check with the tour operator you're planning to use to make sure this is the case. That being said, we were perfectly comfortable going deeper, and we actually used the deeper of the 2 dives towards our advanced open water certifications- which we haven't completed yet, but are working towards.

They will check your c card, but only to make sure you have one. I can't remember if it was this dive op or the one in St. Thomas, but one of them did want to see our most recent logged dives in addition to our card. It was probably this one. They required that your last dive not be more than a year previous.

They are aware that technically it is a deeper dive than you are "supposed" to do. It's a great dive- don't decide to forego just because of the depth. It's great!

When we went with Dive Tortola, I got the impression that most of their dives were 'guided' dives, with a Divemaster taking divers and showing them the highlights of the spots if you wanted. If you were more experienced or familiar with the area, you didn't have to stay with the group.

We did reef dives, and got down around 80'...no worries. They should still let him do this dive with the way they seem to operate all their dives. If he is worried about going that deep, then just tell him to talk to the divemaster/instructor to make them aware of his experience level and concerns. Then they can decide together what the best way to approach the dive would be.

Archived