Pigeon Island Kayaking

Smuncha Luncha

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did do this excursion and have mixed reactions about it. After leaving the pier, we proceeded to an area that we expected would be our transportation. We waited for at least 15 minutes in the hot sun being told that our transportation would be there shortly. We moved about 50 feet to a parking lot and were told again that our transportation would be there shortly. They had a small bus that would accommodate most of the passengers, but not everyone would fit so they were waiting for another vehicle. That took WAY too long!! I would say we waited to close to another 30 minutes before we were able to be on our way. I'm sorry, but when it's my vacation, I don't want to waste time on a cruise-sponsored excursion that I would have expected to be much more organized. (We've always booked our excursions on our own in the past.)

Once we got to the area to board our kayaks, we were given brief instructions on how to kayak (we'd never done it before). It wasn't too difficult to get the hang of it especially since I had canoed in the past, which was very similar when it came to rowing & steering.

Once we got going, it was enjoyable but fairly hard work since it was windy & quite rough. The scenery wasn't anything to write home about - much different than what was explained in the description.

We had approx an hour at a very nice beach once we arrived. But when it was time to go, once again it was alot of waiting for the tour director to get his act together and for others to decide that they actually cared about the 30 other people that were waiting for them.

Hope that helps somewhat, but please advise if you have additional questions.

Archived