Mazatlan: Selecting Between Two Sierra Madre Tours

jeanaa

Hi Everyone,

Princess offers two similar tours (1) Colonial Villages and Papantla Flyers (5 ½ hours) which goes to Malpica and Concordia, and (2) Sierra Madre tour (7 ½ hours) which goes to Concordia, Copala and makes a brief stop in the Golden Zone. Here's my dilemma: I wanted to visit the Sierra Madre, but still have a little time to visit the old part of Mazatlan (not the Golden Zone), which I have never seen. Perhaps I am trying to do too much in one day? I am thinking that this is probably impossible to do with the second tour, given that it is 7 ½ hours (and the ship is in port 7am - 5 pm). If I choose the first tour, I am thinking I'll have a better chance of seeing downtown Mazatlan, but I'm not sure if I would be missing more by not going to Copala. (and the Papantla flyers weren't really high on my list anyway).

Has anyone taken either tour, and if so, could you offer your impressions? Thanks!

Hello Jeanaa,

Sounds like you may be trying to fit in too many things in just a short period of time while visiting our port of Mazatlan.

The best thing for you to do is decide on what you really want to do and see.

If you have never been to the "Country Tour" (Concordia and Copala), it is really nice up there this time of year.. It is really green and beautiful. When you are up in the mountains about 1.5 hrs outside of Mazatlan from the "Old Harbor" where the crusie ships tie up at, Concordia will be your first stop. In this town you will see hoe they make furniature, tiles and crafts by hand. There is also an old Cathedral of which you can go inside, sit down and feel the atmosphere.. There is nothing like it. You will then head more into the mountains to the next stop which will be Copala, which is an old mining town. This is another great small town and another old Cathedral. You will be told a little about the history of this town and see how they live. I can go into much more depth, but do not want to ruin the tour for you.

If you want to see El Centro (downtown Mazatlan), we have a beautiful Cathedral which will just catch your breath, as well as the old theatre house "Angela Paralta", as well as the market.

I hope this info helps you..

Have a really great cruise..

Gray (fish4ever)

Hi Gray,

Thanks for the information. I had wanted to see a little of the "old" Mazatlan after the Concordia / Copala tour, but I probably won't have enough time to do both. I was especially interested in the Angela Peralta Theatre, as I recently saw a performance by Delfos Danza Contemporanea when they visited here in New York, and I understand that this is their home in Mazatlan. Maybe I'll just have to come back a second time!

Thanks again,

Jeana

I would recommend that you take the Colonial tour and see the Papantla Fliers. As you get back to the ship, get a tour or a taxi and go to the Old Mazatlan. It is around 10 minutes max from the ship by taxi. The Angela Peralta theatre has a little cost of $12pesos or Aprox. $1.20us to go in. This money is used for maintainence. If you like more information about the theatre go to http://www.teatroangelaperalta.com It has information about the Mazatlan Cultural Festival taking place at this moment. Although most is in Spanish with a little bit in English.

Any aditional help please ask!

Have a great cruise.

Mazatlan Frank

Archived