St Thomas to Trunk Bay

Tigers2

We are cruising in June on the EOS and never had the St. Johns Trunk Bay experience.

What is the best way to travel from St. Thomas to Trunk Bay? Please give method and cost for a party of 8!

Thanks!!

I recommend that you try the search forum, there you will find all the info. needed. GF and I are planning the same trip come April, good luck

We were there in December 2008. It was $10 pp for taxi from Havensight (where CCL docks) to the Red Hook Ferry, this was in one of the truck taxis and there was 6 of us. Ferry to St. John was $6.10 per person. Taxi from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay was $6 pp. We found out afterwards if you want a better snorkeling, head to Cinnamon or Maho Bay. Taxi back from Trunk Bay to Cruz Bay was $6 pp and we were down to 4 people.

Ferry from Cruz Bay to Crown Bay was $11.10 pp and taxi back to the ship was $5 each.

Not sure if the car taxis charge a flat rate per person or per destination.

There are also taxis on St. Thomas that the locals take, they are different and cost $2 each time you hop on. If you're not in a hurry you can take them, I was told they only go in one direction. So, if you were to take the Red Hook Ferry and come back to Red Hook, you'd go all the way around STT to get back to the ship.

We were there in December 2008. It was $10 pp for taxi from Havensight (where CCL docks) to the Red Hook Ferry, this was in one of the truck taxis and there was 6 of us. Ferry to St. John was $6.10 per person. Taxi from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay was $6 pp. We found out afterwards if you want a better snorkeling, head to Cinnamon or Maho Bay. Taxi back from Trunk Bay to Cruz Bay was $6 pp and we were down to 4 people.

Ferry from Cruz Bay to Crown Bay was $11.10 pp and taxi back to the ship was $5 each.

Not sure if the car taxis charge a flat rate per person or per destination.

There are also taxis on St. Thomas that the locals take, they are different and cost $2 each time you hop on. If you're not in a hurry you can take them, I was told they only go in one direction. So, if you were to take the Red Hook Ferry and come back to Red Hook, you'd go all the way around STT to get back to the ship.

So we can figure around $44 pp or $176 for our family of 4

TheVegasMan THANKS!!!

1st off- If you don't go to St. John for at least 1/2 a day, you are doing yourelf a great injustice.

I echo the reply above. It was exactly $44.20 to go to and from the pier in St. Thomas. We took a cab right from the taxi staging area as you get off the ship. Our driver was Sharky Henry( he has Rock n Roll Taxi painted on his windshield). He was great. Took us to Redhook and we agreed upon a return time. He met us coming off the 1:00pm return from St. John. He didn't want any money until the return. We could have stiffed him and took the Ferry back to crown bay, but the drive was gorgeous from redhook back to Pier. His total fee (roundtrip) was $20. Each way on the ferry is $6.10. You catch a taxi at Cruz Bay for $6 each way. Chairs at Trunk Bay are $4 each and snorkel gear is $7. We didn't do a single "ship" excursion on our 1/25- 2/1 sailing. We caught taxis in each port for more personalized tours and never had a problem.Trunk Bay is simply "breathtaking". I could live there under a tree and think i was in heaven.

1st off- If you don't go to St. John for at least 1/2 a day, you are doing yourelf a great injustice.

I echo the reply above. It was exactly $44.20 to go to and from the pier in St. Thomas. We took a cab right from the taxi staging area as you get off the ship. Our driver was Sharky Henry( he has Rock n Roll Taxi painted on his windshield). He was great. Took us to Redhook and we agreed upon a return time. He met us coming off the 1:00pm return from St. John. He didn't want any money until the return. We could have stiffed him and took the Ferry back to crown bay, but the drive was gorgeous from redhook back to Pier. His total fee (roundtrip) was $20. Each way on the ferry is $6.10. You catch a taxi at Cruz Bay for $6 each way. Chairs at Trunk Bay are $4 each and snorkel gear is $7. We didn't do a single "ship" excursion on our 1/25- 2/1 sailing. We caught taxis in each port for more personalized tours and never had a problem.Trunk Bay is simply "breathtaking". I could live there under a tree and think i was in heaven.

what amenities are available at Trunk Bay (besides umbrellas, snorkeling) Are there beach bars, restaurants, restrooms??

Thanks in advance...

This all sounds great. How long did it take you from Havensight Mall to the beach at St John?

it all depending on time of day and traffic, if traffic is light it should only take 20-30 min taxi ride to east end where you would take the 15min ferry ride to cruz bay. from crus bay you will need to take a shuttle or taxi to trunk bay, which would take about 15 min ride the ferry is 3-5 pp one way... there is also a water taxi that leaves from downtown "close to the cruise ship pier that goes to st john, avoiding the traffic. it only runs back and forth a few times a day. look up st thomas ferry transportation for details. st thomas is nice for shopping, which you can do right around the cruise ship area, town is a waste of time. st john is well worth the effort to go to. thruck bay has bathrooms- bar- food etc, snorkle equipment can also be rented there. . the north side of st thomas "hull bay" is a local spot with a bar and food the beach is not t6he best but it is friendly place to check out some local culture and meet the frenchee's locals. alot of fishing boats and surfers at hull bay

I have a question....I know that there is also a ferry from the cruise dock (around there)....why is it that people always pay the $20 pp rt extra to go to Red Hook.......what am I missing?

what amenities are available at Trunk Bay (besides umbrellas, snorkeling) Are there beach bars, restaurants, restrooms??

Thanks in advance...

2 years ago there was a small snack bar that sold fries, burgers, candy etc with picnic tables. I don't remember beer, but not sure as we were there in the am. There was another shack type building with t shirts and snorkel rentals. There was restrooms with changing area. There were restaurants/bars where we waited for the ferry after we took the open air taxi out of trunk bay.

I have a question....I know that there is also a ferry from the cruise dock (around there)....why is it that people always pay the $20 pp rt extra to go to Red Hook.......what am I missing?
The Red Hook Ferry starts running earlier in the day, we got on the 8:00 am ferry and got to Trunk Bay before the ticket booth opened. The Red Hook ferrry is cheaper by $5. The taxi ride is $5 more. In the end the total cost is the same. The Charlotte Amalie ferry leaves from between the two piers, so you either take a $5 taxi or hoof it to where the ferry is.

Our Princess ship docks at the new Crown Bay dock. It is on the opposite end of Charlotte Amalie, I believe. Has anyone traveled to St. John from there, and how much longer is the taxi ride to Red Hook? Is there a water taxi from Crown Bay? We also could do a catamaran sail to St. John (6 hours total with only 2 of them at St. John). Is this a better way to get there?

thanks!

Barb

Barb,

From Crown Bay the ferry options are the same, either take the Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook ferry to St. John.

Crown Bay to Charlotte Amalie ferry about 10-12 minutes in low/medium traffic (with traffic longer). And to Red Hook about 35 minutes (again with traffic longer).

The ferry to St. John leaves from downtown Charlotte Amalie, not from Crown Bay.

--Islander

• 1 year later...
i have a question....i know that there is also a ferry from the cruise dock (around there)....why is it that people always pay the $20 pp rt extra to go to red hook.......what am i missing?

it is because the ferry's from red hook to cruz bay, st john run every 15-30 mins ... The ferry's from town area to cruz bay onlt run a few times a day.

Archived