Fabulous time! Jan 31-Feb 7 cruise

Inshape

it is really great. Tendering in Cayman was not a problem...done very orderly and the pax complied with the rules given by MSC.

Food: well, we are never hungry, but I must admit that the steak is not to my liking, but other food, especially at the noon buffet is excellent.

Tomorrow we are in Cayo Levantado....and we booked a tour to swim with the sealions! We are getting adventurous....

In agreement with Inshape re her review of the 1-31 voyage, and I will also post when we get home. The Internet is a little slow and $$$!

Grace,

When you post will you tell us how the sea lions exercusion was? Also, how did you book? and price..

We are reserved in Nassau, but I am not liking the late time.

Thanks for posting on your vacation. Can't wait for your review.;)

We do our own beef, so needless to say no beef is good to me!

Yes, we are seasoned cruisers and decided a year ago to try MSC.

The price was right and everyone is correct the ship is beautiful.

The horrible statements people made about the people and food on earlier cruises must have been rectified as we found it to be quite nice and many times wonderful. Our room was beautiful but smallish. We were on 11 and our cabin steward was super. We always tip them a little something in the very beginning and we get super service. (we tip the full amount at the end also)

If you have travelled to many European Countries you find the coffee is sometimes very strong. But in the Dining Room you could get half hot coffee and half hot milk. Wonderful! It was like being in Portugal again. We loved having our breakfast in the dining room and meeting new people in open seating at breakfast and lunch. Service was prompt and usually very good. Our dinners were good to great but our table was very nice.

We were not part of the Superbowl gang that has met for 16 yrs aboard (I think Carnival) they were having a good time and I never saw any outrageous behavior. I talked to many of them during the cruise and I think they would be a blast to travel with. Too bad the ship ran out of beer (I think it was Bud light) Also they don't have Coke on Board and I missed that.

This ship is built differently and does not have as many elevators so we often used the stairs. I would not recommend it for people who use wheel chairs or have great difficulty getting around.

We did go to the special dining room one night where it costs an extra $25.00 per person. We found that was not worth it. It was not a private room and although the waiters were wonderful the food was just okay.

I am trying to be as honest as possible and know some will totally agree with me.

We did eat occasionally at the buffet upstairs and had tea there also.

It was fine but we felt the food was hotter in the dining room.

Unfortunately we had several cool and rainy days and that is hard for all when you are from the north and just want to be pampered and enjoy the sun.

I gained weight on this trip and now have to go to the gym.

Happy Sailing

Kathie

I am so glad that you had a wonderful time and we had groups complaining- but thank goodness that they weren't drunk(1/10/09) I would have been embarrassed as well after the pool and theatre incidents.

We are leaving on the March 7 sailing and had some questions. Some have been asked by others in other threads but not answered so I have included them here.

How formal are formal nights and what nights are they on the eastern (Key west/Coz./Gr. Cay and Cayo) sailing? To pack light, I was thinking of a single balck cocktail dress, and maybe different jewlery and a wrap for the two nights. Will I be grossly underdressed? I am just not a "gown" person.

Bringing beverages on board. Our first and last cruise was on Costa and I actually watched the staff help pick up a dropped half rack of beer for one guest at a port. I have one report (thank you again) that a bottle of wine came in fine. Any other comments on wine, harder stuff, water and pop? To be safe, I would rather it was in my carry on - will this work?

How is the beach at Cayo? We were thinking of just a beach day but couldn't tell what sort of beverages and snacks might be available on shore, whether it was relatively safe (can you leave your towels and clothes on the beach) and whether it was worth it to bring masks and snorkles ashore or if it was just sand (okay too by me).

Any hints for snorkle or kayak ventures at the other ports? We are looking for something for half the day so we can go and shop the other half. There are so many vendors on line and I would love a recommendation or two. Or even just a place you can rent some gear and a locker and go on a self-guided tour.

Thanks for the help.

And thanks to all who take the time to provide detailed reviews - good and bad. As long as the bad reviews are specific, I find them helpful. I will bring my own washcloth, be sure I eat when food is offered, not eat the tiarmisu (sp?) and suffer with italian wine.

We are leaving on the March 7 sailing and had some questions. Some have been asked by others in other threads but not answered so I have included them here.

How formal are formal nights and what nights are they on the eastern (Key west/Coz./Gr. Cay and Cayo) sailing? To pack light, I was thinking of a single balck cocktail dress, and maybe different jewlery and a wrap for the two nights. Will I be grossly underdressed? I am just not a "gown" person.

Bringing beverages on board. Our first and last cruise was on Costa and I actually watched the staff help pick up a dropped half rack of beer for one guest at a port. I have one report (thank you again) that a bottle of wine came in fine. Any other comments on wine, harder stuff, water and pop? To be safe, I would rather it was in my carry on - will this work?

How is the beach at Cayo? We were thinking of just a beach day but couldn't tell what sort of beverages and snacks might be available on shore, whether it was relatively safe (can you leave your towels and clothes on the beach) and whether it was worth it to bring masks and snorkles ashore or if it was just sand (okay too by me).

Any hints for snorkle or kayak ventures at the other ports? We are looking for something for half the day so we can go and shop the other half. There are so many vendors on line and I would love a recommendation or two. Or even just a place you can rent some gear and a locker and go on a self-guided tour.

Thanks for the help.

And thanks to all who take the time to provide detailed reviews - good and bad. As long as the bad reviews are specific, I find them helpful. I will bring my own washcloth, be sure I eat when food is offered, not eat the tiarmisu (sp?) and suffer with italian wine.

Here are a couple of threads that you may find helpful (lot's of your questions above have been addressed):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=918628&highlight=

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=919366&highlight=

BTW, Formal nights for your cruise should be Sun. & Thu. night and you will be fine w/ a cocktail dress and mixed accessories.

I would agree with the 'Beach Day' on Cayo (at least for a few hours). There will be a lot of folks on the beach & leaving your towels, etc... with your beach chairs shouldn't be a problem. I saw some folks snorkeling, but Cozumel & Grand Cayman were definitely better snorkel spots.

In Cozumel, I would recommend taking a cab to Chankanaab National Park ($10 each way for a car full + $16 adult, $8 child admission). The beach is very nice & the snorkeling is excellent (food & beverages are good as well - and reasonable). We left the park in plenty of time for shopping downtown (right by the pier).

In Grand Cayman we did a fantastic excursion with Nativeways Tours (Reef, Rays & Rum Point). I provided some more details + pics in my review.

Enjoy your trip. You'll have a blast!!

I just want to respond to all of the emails trashing the Super Cruisers from Ohio. First of all we are NOT a bunch of drunks, pigs or anything else we were called. We are hard working people, police officers, firemen and the like and yes, we like to have our "cocktails" and have fun but we did NOT trash anything and frankly it truly disgusts me reading these emails from people who obviously don't know us and our group at all. Most of our group are people who have dedicated their lives to saving others and for people to call us names is totally wrong. As for the "Super Cruisers' taking their tips off; alot of us did and for good reason which was we were treated rudely and the service most of us received was mediocre at best. Our thinking is that we generously tip the people WE feel deserve it. I guess this was a good experience for us being on this cruise as "european" cruises are definately not our style and definately not the fun we've had on other cruise lines. I would not take a cruise on MSC even on my own without the Super Cruise group. I work hard all year and pay alot of money to go on this cruise and YES, I expect towels and washcloths and whatever else I should have, to be in my room and YES I expect people not to be rude. The ship itself was beautiful and I did like the food for the most part but I am entitled to have the kind of vacation I want and this just was not it. I expect that there will be those of you reading this that will want to respond to this by calling me a pig or slob, etc. but I am proud to be a Super Cruiser.

shaffer313,

Just like we shouldn't indict your entire group due to the behavior of a select few, don't be discouraged by the rudeness on these boards of a select few. You are entitled to say how you feel without having insults thrown at you. I think the travel agent that thought MSC was a good idea for your group should be fired. At the very least, she should have worked more closely with MSC to make sure they were prepared for the unique needs of your group. There is no excuse for booking your group on this ship when you've been perfectly happy with Carnival for many cruises. It was a very bad fit.

I just want to respond to all of the emails trashing the Super Cruisers from Ohio. First of all we are NOT a bunch of drunks, pigs or anything else we were called. We are hard working people, police officers, firemen and the like and yes, we like to have our "cocktails" and have fun but we did NOT trash anything and frankly it truly disgusts me reading these emails from people who obviously don't know us and our group at all. Most of our group are people who have dedicated their lives to saving others and for people to call us names is totally wrong. As for the "Super Cruisers' taking their tips off; alot of us did and for good reason which was we were treated rudely and the service most of us received was mediocre at best. Our thinking is that we generously tip the people WE feel deserve it. I guess this was a good experience for us being on this cruise as "european" cruises are definately not our style and definately not the fun we've had on other cruise lines. I would not take a cruise on MSC even on my own without the Super Cruise group. I work hard all year and pay alot of money to go on this cruise and YES, I expect towels and washcloths and whatever else I should have, to be in my room and YES I expect people not to be rude. The ship itself was beautiful and I did like the food for the most part but I am entitled to have the kind of vacation I want and this just was not it. I expect that there will be those of you reading this that will want to respond to this by calling me a pig or slob, etc. but I am proud to be a Super Cruiser.

Thanks for your post. It is very important that we not start stereotyping by group. I'm sure you and many (most) other Super Cruisers were well behaved and did not make any unnecessary messes. As I'm sure you have read on other posts, wash clothes are considered personal items and are not provided in Europe. Towels however should have always been available.

I agree, the Travel Agent who booked this group should have known this was not a good match. What do you want to bet she/he was making more off MSC than Carnival????

I too like my cocktails (read plan 'B' and plan 'C' on previous posts) and am hoping they don't run out of beer on my cruise. :eek:

Hope things work out better for you next year!

We booked the tour through the ship, but it was cancelled due to lack of participants. The tour costs $92 pp, and according to the brochure you get to go into the sea lion enclosure at the end of the beach, hear a lecture about sea lions, get into the pool with the sea lions, then go into an area into the open seas with them, and at the end a sea lion comes and gives you a "kiss".

Well, I was a little disappointed that the tour was cancelled, but in the end it all worked out...I did get my sea lion "kiss" after all! Along the beach there is a sea lion and the trainer walking along with the photographer and they take your picture (actually 3 shots) with the sea lion all for $10. The $92 dollars from the ship is a little high IMO, and it only lasts for 45 minutes.

I will probably do a review but am so tired now after a long day of travel yesterday.

I meet a lot of really nice people that were part of the superbowl group that did not hang out with them. The people that trashed the theater on Superbowl night should be ashamed about being such slobs leaving it all behind and dropping food all over. You were given special consideration being allowed to even bring that into the theater. You all took advantage and had no consideration to others who wanted to see a first rate show after the superbowl ended. To see Marco stand on the steps and have tears in his eyes was shameful. I walked over to him to offer my condolences and he said to me:look what they did to my theater". It took way over the 30 minutes after the game to start the show. By that time, the theater only had about 25 people to see the show...very sad.

To the poster who said they work hard for the cruise: You deserve a good cruise YES, but you do not have any right to take over areas that push others away due to your behaviors. On a sea day in the middle of the day you all had cannon ball and diving and belly flopping hour...which lasted and lasted... You were considerate of others at that point? NO! We were on the other side of the pool when YOU almost landed on us. We moved and moved until we had to get out of the pool. You were all drunk and had no insight into ruining other vacationers time. We had as much right to using the pool as you did. But once the horseplay began and you started to pick up spouses and run into the pool we all were forced out. IS this consideration of others who also paid to have a enjoyable cruise. You all as a group were very close minded and thought since you commanded such a large group you deserved the privledges that you took. You were rude to staff in the guest services area...no one should be cursed at like we witnessed people from your group doing on a daily basis. We would hear you from a deck above. Is this consideration for others who also paid for the cruise?

You all left your cigarette boxes all over the pool area... is this consideration? You all took about 15 chairs and reserved them but never laid out on them since you stood in the pool area with GLASS bottles and jumped into the pool. I witnesses agruing with other people all the time over the reserved chairs that you took. I am glad you liked CCL better, it suits you all more. Leave MSC alone because I had the time of my life, INSPITE of you all there.

Shaffer I for one can't wait to meet your group next year on the dream:)

Tom

Archived