Beware Miami Taxi

BonnieLark

We just got back from a NCL cruise. When disembarking we got a taxi to the Eden Roc on Miami Beach. We found out later that we were overcharged by about $20. :eek: It was our first time to Miami and had no idea what a taxi would cost. On the back window he had zones posted and told us we were going to a certain zone and that was the cost. It did seem high but everything in Miami is expensive. He even tried to get us to pay the toll leaving the port which we refused because we could read that was included in the price. The other information was so scratched that we could not read it. The next day we had an honest taxi driver and found out the zones were for going to and from the airport only. From the Port of Miami to the beach or most anywhere else the driver is required to use the meter. The good taxi driver said when getting into the taxi to get the driver's license # and the taxi #. They are both posted by law.

Thought I'd share so this doesn't happen to you.

When disembarking we got a taxi to the Eden Roc on Miami Beach. We found out later that we were overcharged by about $20. :eek:

We will also be staying at the Eden Roc for two days post-cruise. How much was the taxi ride supposed to be? We are considering renting a car at the Port and just dropping it off at the airport when its time to fly home. Were there many restaurants within walking distance of the hotel or do you recommend the rental car route?

We will also be staying at the Eden Roc for two days post-cruise. How much was the taxi ride supposed to be? We are considering renting a car at the Port and just dropping it off at the airport when its time to fly home. Were there many restaurants within walking distance of the hotel or do you recommend the rental car route?

The parking is horrible there. The public lot next door was totally full and the hotel charged over $30 per day for parking. They often fill up so it is hard to find a place to park. My daughter parked 20 blocks aways. It was boat show week end so maybe that's why parking was so bad. We decided not to get a car because of the parking situation and because we just wanted to hang out at the beach and hotel.

The cab driver at the Port of Miami is supposed to start the meter from the port. Our honest driver said it should cost in the low $20s. The Eden Roc has a restaurant but we didn't eat there. We ate at the beach side restaurant and it was OK. For dinner we walked to a restaurant recommended by the concierge but it wasn't really walking distance. My daughter just convinced us to walk. Took a cab back to the hotel and it wasn't that much. The cab fare to the airport was a bit over $30 I think.

We took a cab a couple of years back from bayside marketplace(was a best western, now a holiday inn). The fare was 6 dollars. On the return, the cabbie tried to charge me 20. I said no way, the fare was 6 bucks last week. He muttered something about "all our luggage" and not getting a big fare (like going to the airport). I won't use the language that I used at that moment; but suffice it to say my head almost blew off!! In so many words, I told him that the "luggage" was paid for by an extra tip that he was now not getting. I also told him that I was paying him 6 bucks, and for what he was trying to pull, he should get ZERO! I also threatened to report him to his company and/or the city. He looked like he was going to throw up-- then he left. Don't take any crap. Just my two cents. Bill.

Archived