Overnight in Florence

We are on Legends of the Seas in September and have an overnight stay in Livorno. We were possibly thinking of spending one night in a hotel to be able to enjoy more time in Florence. My husband and I have been there before but the couple we are traveling with have not and with there being so much to see there, we are considering this. Has anyone done this before? Do you need to notify the ship that you will not be coming back for one night? I have been looking at private tours and most are quoting Florence on your own with a pick up after 6 hours, can you negoitate for a longer stay or to come back the next day? Any advice?

You do not have to notify the ship but do tell your room steward- so that he is not concerned.

In Florence stay at the Westin Excelsior hotel if you are only there for one night. Live a little! This place is the "the" place to stay right on the banks of the river. You will get the real sense of being in Florence.

We stayed at a modern hotel midway between the train station and the historic center. I would not stay there again. It was still a trudge with our bags and it was it had zero ambiance.

Next time I am in Florence I'll stay at the Westin! Magnifico. And it will only cost you about 10 Euros by taxi from the train station. (if that). So don't stay near the train station.

I would notify the Purser of your plans. The ship has a legal responsibility to keep track of all people on the ship.

Take the train to Firenze. (I don't say Florence unless I remember to force myself - I've only been there 50+ times.) Find a hotel that is within easy walking distance of the station. I'd look on venere dot com or booking dot com and look for three to four star hotels. They will be reasonable in price and will be clean and comfortable. These are the hotels that most Italians and European visitors will stay in. Save your dollars for a gift or a very special dinner at Trattoria 4 Leoni - one of the best in Firenze. If you must take a cab, you are too far from the historic district to be able to walk it and enjoy it. Firenze is a walking town.

Archived