Which One Now?

F22mom

Just came back from the Zuiderdam to Panama (feb17-27). Had so much fun that that I signed up for another cruise. It was a quilting cruise so during sailing days I was involved in quilting classes and we had free time to sew so I kept busy. The ports were fantastic. When we were in curacao there were 3 fabric shops listed so I had fun looking at them even though 2 of the shops were closed. the shows were fun and entertaining so I wouldn't mind doing another quilting cruise on HAL. I wanted to the bar hop but wrong time (10pm and I had to quilt the next day and then the other time it was still new to me for ship activities). I really like the piano bar with Rick. He was funny and entertaining and good with all ages. Most of the time people would float in and out while 2 other couples and me just sang the night away until 2am. this is what I like to do- not really a lush :) I really didn't like the excursions - Not enough activity for a 51 year old. Too much time sitting and looking I would like to explore a little more. Now my son (22 years old)will be with me in august of 2010 which I signed up and we are going to alaska- juneau, sitka,ketichikan, and victoria on the Oosterdam. It is a 7 day cruise with hubbard glacier. Here are the questions. How is this trip? Is there nature stuff to do and see besides towns? Can a 22year find friendships on this ship? What is the ship compare to zuiderdam? Are there other itineries to Alaska that I choose on HAL if I don't take this trip (I don't need to go quilting on this). And here is the kicker- Royal caribean cruise line how does this compare going to alaska? I might go on this cruise line and go somewhere else on HAL. Please I want this 2nd cruise to be fun like the first one and I want my son to experience his first one and to congratulate him on a job well done at school ( college graduation gift- straight A's)

We've been on the Westerdam and the Oosterdam. These are sister ships to the Zuiderdam. You will find things laid out the same. It is wonderful to know where things are located. I was expecting "cookie cutter" ships between these two, but the feel of each is totally different, so it really does feel like you are not on a replica of the other, but on a totally different ship. We love both ships for different reasons. We've been to Alaska on both. Alaska is different than the Carribbean. I would suggest you go to the Alaska port listings. There will be lots to read about Alaska there. Sitka is our absolute favorite port. There are tons of things to do in the ports you listed and things for lots of different interests. Ships out of Vancouver have more scenic sailing than those out of Seattle, so you might want to look into that. I've never sailed RCI, so I can't comment on them. I have taken my 19 year old and my 21 year old to Alaska. They found plenty to do and loved it.

I would choose leaving out of Vancouver. The Eastern side of Vancouver Island is beautiful.

RCI IMO has more things to do for a 20 something than HAL, but he will have a good time no matter which ship you choose.

If you like nature stuff...there is a bird rescue facility that is a nice walk from the ship in Sitka. We really found that interesting and it was a fun hike, even took us through some salmon streams. Then there was a grocery store that we hit on the way back to the ship for some sodas and things. A lot of folks were eating Reindeer hotdogs from a vendor. They all seemed to like them. All of the ports were interesting. We enjoyed walking around the towns, did some hiking. The only excursion we did was in Ketchikan...we did the Zipline. It was fantastic. Also, catch Katchicandies in Katchikan...yummy, old school candy shop. We really enjoyed that cruise and would do it again for sure. The glacier viewing was amazing. If you are nature lovers I think you will not be disappointed.

Archived