costa maya beach

taramick

• 4 weeks later...

taramick,

As far as I can tell, you don't need to book a tour in Costa Maya to go to the beach. It is not like Cozumel. I was there last week and as I see it, there are two options. If you want to get in the water, go to Majahual. No tour compnay necessary. Get a taxi $3.00 pp to Majahual and $2.00 pp back to the port. Taxis are plentiful and readily avaiable. The beach there is beautiful and the water is swimmable. If you just want to look at the water, which is more like myself, just stay at the port area. They have a pool, poolbar (swimup) and beachchairs which allow you to overlook the water. However the water is rocky there so it would not be as good as Majahual for actually getting in the water. Hope this helps!

Haveluggagewilltravel

I concur with previous poster. We were in Costa Maya pre-hurricane, and spent the day in Majauahual. I understand Majuahual has been rebuilt/ improved since I was there, with the addition of a nice boardwalk along the ocean. The little town is basically a dirt road about a mile long, with shops/vendors along one side, and ocean on the other. All along the ocean are little palapas where you can sit for free if you order a little something to eat or drink. The water is clear, warm, calm. You can see the ships off in the distance. We loved it there. Can get great massages on the beach real cheap. The vendors are in abundance, but they are very jovial and friendly, and we found the prices better there than in the Cruise ship area. My one regret of the day was that we couldn't tear ourselves away from the beach, and were left with little time to enjoy that great big pool with swim up bar! Lots of people dismiss Costa Maya as a wasted port, but we loved it. I'm sure you will, too!

You can book a beach tour for AI at several of the restaurants/bars in Majuhual, but why???

With AI, you will feel pretty much anchored to one spot. Without, you will be free to walk the entire malecon and have bite here, a drink there, etc. That's what we do.

We've been pre and post hurricane. Village had a more quaint feel prior to the hurricane, but now what was a dirt malecon is now paved.

Prices in the village are cheaper than at the port. Prices for drinks in the port are cheaper than on board your ship.

Enjoy --

Archived