Costa Maya is not an island, facts and the hurricane was catastrophic

caribdreamin

:confused: I keep reading on here that people say, "the island doesn't look the same since Hurricane Dean"? What island?

Costa Maya is not an island. It's mainland Mexico. The nearest island is Cozumel or Chinchorro Reef Atoll. There aren't any islands in the area; you can get into a car and drive to Cancun from the port.

Costa Maya means "Mayan Coast" in Spanish, its the lower 1/3 of the Caribbean coast of Mexico.

It also looks great compared to how it was, and I can't believe how people are putting the area down because the plants "aren't as green". This was the 2nd strongest hurricane in history. In the U.S., we haven't even rebuilt New Orleans yet! The types of dead plants (mangroves) have never been killed before by a storm. Scientists are shocked that the plants have not come back yet, but eventually, the jungle will be green again with some type of vegetation.

I flew into and drove from Playa del Carmen to the port 6 weeks after the hurricane. I wanted to see the damage for myself and take local people some clothes. I saw visible damage 1.5 hours north of the port and over 30 miles inland. It made me sick to see trees of 15 feet in diameter and probably 1,000 years old, that had been lifted up like giant umbrellas and plucked from their ground, forever. They now lie on the ground, too massive to move or cut. There were not a lot of these large trees, but this tells us that this has not ocurred over the last 1,000 years...

This is an amazing area for activities, biodiversity, great food, usually great weather, and friendly people. (Unfortunately, some are now pesky due to the need to make a buck). In my experience, the people are helpful, its safe and the sea life is generally safe. Yes, there are sharks, but no, there has never been a reported bite along this coast, ever. Yes there are rays and barracudas. Don't step on the rays and don't act aggressive towards a cuda or wear shiny jewelry, as those things attract them. Yes, you can get cut on coral, but you should never touch it, because you damage it when you do.

I think message boards and sharing information is a great way to research an area for a more pleasurable vacation. Please keep in mind that most of the Caribbean was hit with that hurricane and the locals must live it on a daily basis; these areas are still great places for you to visit and experience different cultures and share it with your children, which is what I love about cruising.

:confused: I keep reading on here that people say, "the island doesn't look the same since Hurricane Dean"? What island?

Costa Maya is not an island. It's mainland Mexico. The nearest island is Cozumel or Chinchorro Reef Atoll. There aren't any islands in the area; you can get into a car and drive to Cancun from the port.

Costa Maya means "Mayan Coast" in Spanish, its the lower 1/3 of the Caribbean coast of Mexico.

It also looks great compared to how it was, and I can't believe how people are putting the area down because the plants "aren't as green". This was the 2nd strongest hurricane in history. In the U.S., we haven't even rebuilt New Orleans yet! The types of dead plants (mangroves) have never been killed before by a storm. Scientists are shocked that the plants have not come back yet, but eventually, the jungle will be green again with some type of vegetation.

I flew into and drove from Playa del Carmen to the port 6 weeks after the hurricane. I wanted to see the damage for myself and take local people some clothes. I saw visible damage 1.5 hours north of the port and over 30 miles inland. It made me sick to see trees of 15 feet in diameter and probably 1,000 years old, that had been lifted up like giant umbrellas and plucked from their ground, forever. They now lie on the ground, too massive to move or cut. There were not a lot of these large trees, but this tells us that this has not ocurred over the last 1,000 years...

This is an amazing area for activities, biodiversity, great food, usually great weather, and friendly people. (Unfortunately, some are now pesky due to the need to make a buck). In my experience, the people are helpful, its safe and the sea life is generally safe. Yes, there are sharks, but no, there has never been a reported bite along this coast, ever. Yes there are rays and barracudas. Don't step on the rays and don't act aggressive towards a cuda or wear shiny jewelry, as those things attract them. Yes, you can get cut on coral, but you should never touch it, because you damage it when you do.

I think message boards and sharing information is a great way to research an area for a more pleasurable vacation. Please keep in mind that most of the Caribbean was hit with that hurricane and the locals must live it on a daily basis; these areas are still great places for you to visit and experience different cultures and share it with your children, which is what I love about cruising.

Thank you for all the information and insight. It is appreciated. I will be visiting for the first time in April and look forward to seeing this part of the country and the cudas! :D

Thank you for all the information and insight. It is appreciated. I will be visiting for the first time in April and look forward to seeing this part of the country and the cudas! :D

hey, come on over and join our roll call for this cruise. we are 90 people strong!!

Caribdreamin - No need to try to convince people here what a great place Costa Maya is. I wouldn't mind if it remained our little secret. Like you I fell in love with the area and have been back many times.

I would love to chat with you via email; when you get a chance drop me a note at CruiseCAT at verizon dot net.

I've been on three cruises, and will be joining you on April 5 for my fourth. I've been to Costa Maya three years ago and two years ago. It was closed when we cruised last year; we stopped at Palya Del Carman instead. There used to be a cute little crocadile sanctuary right there. I don't see it listed on any of the activities this time. I"m hoping there weren't to many escapees!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived