Ketchikan Recommendation

Two from Virginia

In my opinion, this can be a very costly excursion for petting some caribou. :) And a 3 year old can be tough to keep entertained. :)

If an option for you, you may be better off doing a walking tour, taking the city bus to Totem Bight, renting a car etc etc etc. probably for less money?

:confused:All the times I've been to Ketchikan I've never used the city bus. Can you tell me about using it? How long is the ride to Totem Bight; I'd like to get my sister-in-law there without her having to take the ship excursion.

Thanks!

Travelbuds, this is a wealth of information IMO. I was seriously considering taking the Bering Sea tour, but I am a fan of all things local and I'm drawn to the prospect of bus hopping. How much are bus transfers or do we pay one fee and ride all day?

Travelbuds, this is a wealth of information IMO. I was seriously considering taking the Bering Sea tour, but I am a fan of all things local and I'm drawn to the prospect of bus hopping. How much are bus transfers or do we pay one fee and ride all day?

The bus is $1. You need to allow 3 hours for Totem Bight via city bus.

[/url] The bus is $1. You need to allow 3 hours for Totem Bight via city bus.

Hi,

We may end up taking a taxi out to Totem Bight because we get in at 9AM, and the bus doesn't stop at the tunnel across from the Eagle until 9:46AM. It will probably cost us $25 out there, but we'd be buying a little extra time. And then take the 11:15AM bus to get back in time for lunch (a halibut sandwich at Burger Queen) before our flight with Island Wings.

If you want to do something different than the regular tours. When you get off the ship find a cab and ask them to take you to ward lake. It is a beautiful lake with a 1.3 mile path around it.

We are getting ready for our 2nd Alaska cruise and on our 1st one we did this.

You ask the cab driver to take you out and come back for you in 2 hours.

I think it cost us about $40 total.

We were the only ones there. We saw Eagles nesting and spent the most wonderful time in an Alaska rainforest.:D

....ind a cab and ask them to take you to ward lake..... and come back for you in 2 hours. I think it cost us about $40 total.

Curious if you paid half to the lake and the rest after the ride back. Guess I have spent too much time in Caribbean where taxis may not be as reliable.

Curious if you paid half to the lake and the rest after the ride back. Guess I have spent too much time in Caribbean where taxis may not be as reliable.

Very gracious cab driver was only to glad to come back for us later. Said she had just spent the previous evening there for a picnic with her family.

No problem at all with the pickup for the return.

I agree. Very different than the Caribbean.:)

If you want to do something different than the regular tours. When you get off the ship find a cab and ask them to take you to ward lake. It is a beautiful lake with a 1.3 mile path around it.

We are getting ready for our 2nd Alaska cruise and on our 1st one we did this.

You ask the cab driver to take you out and come back for you in 2 hours.

I think it cost us about $40 total.

We were the only ones there. We saw Eagles nesting and spent the most wonderful time in an Alaska rainforest.:D

My opinion only, but it is superior to have a rental car here. Then you just go a little further, to Preserverence trail, which is fantastic, way better than Ward Lake. :) Then easy to add a stop at Totem Bight, and Walmart. :)

My opinion only, but it is superior to have a rental car here. Then you just go a little further, to Preserverence trail, which is fantastic, way better than Ward Lake. :) Then easy to add a stop at Totem Bight, and Walmart. :)

Very good suggestion but if you do not want to rent a car (which we didn't) Ward Lake is a very good alternative. Just depends on what you are looking for. We found it very quiet and relaxing after being on the crowded ship. :)

Sorry Travelbuds but I misunderstood your question. We did pay for the trip up seperately. My cell phone worked there and the driver gave me her number to call. She was actually on another call and sent another cab to pick us up.

...My cell phone worked there and the driver gave me her number to call.

Hi,

We may be looking for a taxi out to Totem Bight so we don't have to wait on the bus.

Did you make taxi arrangements before you left home, or did you wait until you got to Ketchikan?

Do you have a name and phone number for taxi service?

Thank you,

Bruce

Hi,

We may be looking for a taxi out to Totem Bight so we don't have to wait on the bus.

Did you make taxi arrangements before you left home, or did you wait until you got to Ketchikan?

Thank you,

Bruce

There were taxis waiting when we got off the ship. We did not make any arrangements prior.

I will look through my papers but I don't think I have the taxi name.

You are welcome,

Karen

There were taxis waiting when we got off the ship.....Said she had just spent the previous evening there for a picnic with her family..... We did not make any arrangements prior. I will look through my papers but I don't think I have the taxi name...Karen

Hi Karen,

Thank you for trying to find her name and number. Would be nice to help out a local family in this economy.

Bruce

We booked a Misty Fjord flight with Seawind Aviation when our Misty Fjord and Wilderness Explorer excursion didn't work out. We really enjoyed our flight even though I really didn't want to be in a small plane. Never even though about the plane once we were up. It was amazing!

Last year we just did a walking tour of the town, went to the Heritage Totem Center, Creek Street, Married Man's Trail and shopped.

This year I wanted to do the boat into Misty Fjord (independently) but I'm not comfortable with the time frame. We are considering renting a car if my husband doesn't end up fishing. If he goes fishing, I'll probably do a tour possibly with Alaska Sourdough tours.

The Duck Tour was fun. I also enjoyed the Lumberjack show which is within walking distance of the port.

didn't know this. I thought the lumberjack would be off the beaten path miles away or something. DH asked me about it. One thing...is there an available show schedule or do you have to wait hours between shows?

didn't know this. I thought the lumberjack would be off the beaten path miles away or something. DH asked me about it. One thing...is there an available show schedule or do you have to wait hours between shows?

http://www.lumberjackshows.com/alaska/

In the past, ship tickets were about the same cost as independent.

Hi,

Thank you,

Bruce

Taxi listings http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

While in Ketchikan, would you recommend doing a tour of the port on your own or booking a tour? What independent our operator would you recommend? Is it better to book ahead or to book when you are in port?

Thanks.

Book ahead,...or you won't get anything. We went on the Ketchikan Zodiac Eco Adventure and LOVED it. We have been to Ketchikan (my favorite Alaskan port) a number of times and this tour has been my favorite tour.

www.ketchikanoutdoors.com The guys are great, very knowledgeable and helpful. They set you up with all the gear you'll need. Great adventure for the whole family. Check it out,... Just don't fight over who gets to drive :)

Archived