Just off EOS w/7mo. and 2.5yo...

sprite

Well...we had our highs and our lows. DS is 2.5 yo and DD is 7months.

Highs:

- DS's first reaction to the ship and then realizing we're getting on it

- Not having to cook anything while watching the kids!!!

- Everyone (passengers AND crew) having a great time smiling at DD, and her smiling back

- Having my parents next door to help with the kids

- Naptime was great for DS, by the time 2:00 rolled around, I was lucky to get his shoes off before he hopped into bed (the couch turned to the wall worked out perfectly!!)

- DS constant fascination with exploring the ship (it was really hard keeping him off those fancy/glass staircases at both ends of the promenade)

Lows:

- Sleeping in the same room as the kids was tough, DD is good at getting herself back to sleep but sometimes makes lots of noise doing it!

- DH forgetting to pack his patience

- Rain at Labadee, ugh, I felt trapped (we tendered) so we waited it out and convinced the sun to come back out

- Having to entertain the kids during meals. Most times DD fell asleep in her stroller at dinner so I just had DS to worry about. We figured by the end of the cruise that it was best for the two of us to bolt just after the entree and head up to the WJ for dessert and my Mom kept sleeping DD for me thru their dessert and coffee.

I'd like to say I'd do it again, but I think we'll be waiting until the kids are a bit older. Luckily, DH and I have a "just the two of us" cruise booked for January 2010, otherwise he would've never made it thru this one!

I know what you mean. It can be tough sometimes spending a week cooped up in a cabin with infants/toddlers. My Dh gets stressed sometimes too because he is not used to it. I also know our first cruise with our DD, I was much more stressed than the others. I think because I was so scared of having DD misbehave or make noise or bother the other passengers that I would exhaust myself trying to keep her happy and quiet at all times. The second cruise I learned to relax some and realized its actually more difficult than you think to "bother" the other passengers. These boards make it seem like everyone is just watching and waiting for your child to "misbehave" so they can flame you. Onboard its actually the opposite. Everyone is in such a relaxed vacation mood, happily enjoying time with their friends and family, that they rarely even notice your child crying or acting up. The dining rooms are loud to begin with so chances are they cant even hear them if they are at another table. Once DD acted up and was crying at dinner so I immediately removed her and when she was calm, brought her back. I apologized to the tables around me and they looked at me like I had two heads, they hadnt even heard or noticed her. Once I learned to relax and stop stressing about it, I enjoyed myself more.

Archived