RIU - Sunset Jamaica Grande... Debate!

AJeray4TN

I know that there are some other posts on this board about day passes for these two properties in Ocho Rios, but our cruise is coming up fast, and we can't decide. I have all of the pricing info, so that is not what I am looking for. I would love to talk to some folks that have actually been (especially to RIU) and see what they thought. The whole group agrees that the RIU property looks the best, but I have heard some pretty mixed reviews as far as the ease of getting there.

Can someone tell me what they paid for a taxi from the cruise port in Ocho Rios, to the RIU property? (Party of 4?)

I would also like to ask someone about the times. We leave Ocho at 3:30pm. Even if we got to the property by 9am or 10am, is the RIU worth the $80 price tag, plus cab fare, for 3-4 hours? I guess once it is all said and done, most (good) excursions will set you back close to a hundred. But with that said; the Sunset Jamaica Grande will be right there too. Within walking distance, and cheaper.

I don't know. Any thoughts?

Thanks! :D

First I haven't been to the Riu but the Sunset Jamaica Grande several times. I have briefly stopped by the Riu which is a lovely property with more marble than the Vatican. The Riu is huge, mega, meaning getting from point a to be could take a few minutes. It has a Spanish vibe (music, food) and might cost about $20 for the taxi.

Sunset Jamaica Grande - has amenities you might use such a water slide and water trampoline. They have several pools and the vibe (food, music) more Jamaican. On a day pass you will be enjoying the beach, a few drinks and a meal or two, regardless of where you go. I can't see paying more unless there is something specific about the resort you wish to explore. I would suggest save the difference and use it to buy coffee or hot sauce at the grocery store on your way back to the ship.

I have pics of SJG in my Ocho Rios album. I hope this helps.

First I haven't been to the Riu but the Sunset Jamaica Grande several times. I have briefly stopped by the Riu which is a lovely property with more marble than the Vatican. The Riu is huge, mega, meaning getting from point a to be could take a few minutes. It has a Spanish vibe (music, food) and might cost about $20 for the taxi.

Sunset Jamaica Grande - has amenities you might use such a water slide and water trampoline. They have several pools and the vibe (food, music) more Jamaican. On a day pass you will be enjoying the beach, a few drinks and a meal or two, regardless of where you go. I can't see paying more unless there is something specific about the resort you wish to explore. I would suggest save the difference and use it to buy coffee or hot sauce at the grocery store on your way back to the ship.

I have pics of SJG in my Ocho Rios album. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much. That helps. I am personally in favor of just sticking to the Sunset Jamaica Grande. I like that it is close to the ship, seeing as our time in port is not that extensive. It is also about $20 cheaper.

Are they super picky about the picture ID thing? I am not sure that I would want to bring my state ID with me... off the boat anyway. Do they keep it, or just are they just ID'ing for "consumption" purposes?

Also, you mention the grocery store? If we were to go from the boat to the SJG... on the way back, would there be some stores we could stop in? Coffee or hot sauce would be right up my alley. I am not really a t-shirt and shot glass kind of guy:) And I keep reading about these beef patties! They sound delicious! Any of those near by?

Thanks!

The Riu looks impressive so I can see the appeal. However, I don't think you will have a more impressive time than at Sunset Jamaica Grande. I beleive the resort holds on to your sea pass. I know that can be a scary thought but they will take good care of it. This I know make some passengers uncomfortable, especially if they didn't know going in. Just minutes away from the Sunset Jamaica Grande, on the same side, there is a regular grocery store. I usually purchase my coffee and hot sauce here. They accept US$. Not far away, on the other side of the street, between the NCB Bank and Burger King, there is a street with a Juic Patti store. Right next to the Burger King is an internet cafe. They accept US$ so make sure you have small bills. This is still considered the tourist zone, so use basic caution and you will be fine. The beef patties are great, it' the Jamaicans version of fast food. I also like the meat loaf (NO, not that meat loaf:D). It's similar to the beef patty but wrapped in dough instead of pastry. If you are carb conscious, let this one go:p

If you need any further assistance please let me know. Feel free to email me because I might not be posting on CC after my cruise this summer.

The number for the SJG is 1-800-234-1707

Safe travels and much blessings

Archived