Anyone back from the Magica yet??

Marie-Claude

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We sailed on the Magica departing Savona on 29 Nov. The ship is pretty but not really impressive. There were a lot of reviews on the level of service and good served by Costa. We are a party of 2 and our table seating was for 4, we had on our table 2 ladies from Florida. We were lucky, our waitress and her assistant provided us very good service and the food were good; met our expectations.

There were only 168 English-speaking guests on board this sailing. There is a English speaking co-ordinator (Ms Deborah) to talk on Shore Excursions and she answer our queries we have on transportation in the Ports, recommendations on Shore Excursions, etc. We could not participate in most of the onboard daily activities as they are conducted in Italian, French or Spanish as we could not understand any of these languages.

Generally, we enjoyed the cruise and we participated in some of the exotic shore excursions.

Have a great cruise.

Sandy

Hi Sandy - glad you had a good vacation!

You talk of exotic excursions, can you tell us which excursions you have done with Costa, and how you found them?

I'm particularly interested in Egypt, as it's going to be a long day and there are many possibilities...

Also Turkey, as I'm not sure of what worth seeing around Marmaris.

Any information you have on shore ex and what you did in ports would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and welcome back home!!

Hi

We took the following shore excursions:

Naples - We signed up for The Menders of the City of Sun but we due to insufficient English speaking guests joining the tour, the tour was cancelled. As we have done Pompeii previously, we took a city sightseeing open deck bus for a tour of Naples independently.

Egypt - we took the Pyramids of Giza, Saqqara, Camel & Jeep. I would recommend that you take this excursion. I signed up of this before on this on Costa website before our departure. Although this is not a recommended excursion by Ms Deborah, you will not regret your decision, the camel ride is the best, it is once in a lifetime ride. We enjoyed it, so did the rest of us on the trip (16 English speaking guests). The ride is out 40 minutes.

Limassol - We did the Mountains and Villages by Jeep. I would not recommend this. You see the dam and the waterfall. There is nothing much in the villages and the wine tasting in the winery is no big deal. It is not worth the price.

Rhodes - we were on our own. We were there on a Sunday, most of the shops were closed, only the touristy ones are open. We took in the sights of Rhodes Old Town, the clock tower, the Grand Masters Palace and later part of the morning, we took a bus to Lindos. The Acropolis in Lindos is miniature when compared to that of Athens, but the view of the town and the bay is marvellous. It is worth the ride.

Marmaris - we were on our own. A free shuttle bus brought us to the shopping bazaar in the city centre of Marmaris. We took a bus to Icemeler, and moved around the waterfront area and have a Turkish Bath. The 2 ladies at our table joined the Dalyan & Caunos excursion and they told us that they had a good time.

Athens - we were on our own. We took the metro to the Plaka, but we did not go to the Acropolis because we did it last year when we were on the Golden Princess. From the Plaka, we took the metro to see the changing of Guard, and to the Olympic Stadium.

Katakolon - we took the 2004 Olympics & Olympia Tour. It is similar to the Olympia and Shopping except that the tour we took covers shopping at Katakolon instead of the Olympia Village. There is not much shopping in Katakolon, only one street with shops on both sides. You will appreciate the great differences between the modern Olympic Stadium to the impressive excavations and ruins of the first Olympic Stadium.

Hope these information are helpful for your planning and happy cruising.

Sandy

Dear sandy lee:

Thank you so much for the information - it will surely help with our planning!

I'm wondering why your english-speaking guide Ms Deborah did not recommend the Camel excursion in Egypt??? We were considering doing the Pyramid-Saqqara-Memphis one... it's hard to decide between the two, the descriptions from the web site are a bit vague.

Anyhow - I appreciate the time you took to let us know about shore ex.

Did you do any good shopping???

• 2 weeks later...

Sandy Lee:

Thank you for the excursion information. I am taking the same cruise in April and I am considering the Egyptian Museum / Giza tour. Can you give me any feedback about the tour that you may have heard from other passengers.

Archived