Guidebooks?

jtfnow

We used Rick Steves' Scandinavia Guide book last summer and loved it. I had the 2007 version to plan with, then he came out with his latest version in 2008. The book no longer has a year on it, but the latest version was published just a year ago. We found it very helpful and did his city walks in every city. He doesn't have anything on St. Petersburg in that book, and you'd have to buy the Germany (2009) for Berlin. We just used the Germany book for Munich and it was great.

The Cruise Guide to Europe and the Mediterranean, in the Eyewitness Travel series published by DK, is good on Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn and St P. The only important city missing (from my 2007 version) is Berlin.

The illustrations are so good in this book that it really leaves you longing to set out. Of course it also covers a lot of places, like the Med, that you aren't going to, at least this time, but I enjoyed reading about them, too.

Can anyone recomend good, up-to-date guidebooks for Scandanavia, Berlin and/or St. Petersburg?

Not a book but I would recommend the Baltic DVD by John Lawrence. His knowledge of the Baltic is second to none and you will find all the information you need for your cruise. Having just been on the Diamond Princess Sydney to Auckland I can only say that I wish Princess would use his talks for all their destinations. The lecturer that we had was sooooo boring (I actually fell asleep!) and he gave little up to date information of any value.

Have a great cruise

We too did Rick Steves guide books. I cut them into sections and took them with us when we were in port. There were great to refer to. We too bought the DVD and learned a great deal from viewing it. I truly felt comfortable doing most ports on our own. Nancy

RICK STEVES ROCKS!!!!!!

Used his Mona Winks (guide to major museums in Europe) and Germany guides in 99 Got us into Louvre without waiting in long lines and got 2for1 Coloseum & Palatine Hill by walking up the hill to buy tickets .

Well worth buying. "Europe through the back door "

Check out his website too for tons of travel advice

Archived