One Year Old on Carnival

angela111509

Hello,

I will be getting married on the Carnival Sensation in November. My son will be 21 months old at that time. I see that Carnival has babysitting from 10pm-3am. Does anyone know if anything is offerd at other times? Does anyone have any suggestions on making the most out of our vacation and still making sure our son is well cared for and has a good time too? Any advice is appreciated.

Carnival has babysitting for under 2's, everyday from 10p-3am and on seadays from noon-2pm and port days from time of arrival in port until noon or later if arrival is later. If you are booked on an excursion many times they will babysit for the length of the excursion (check with them once onboard because it depends on staff availability). They will have an orientation the first evening and give you a schedule of events and activities your child can participate in. You can participate with him in any of the family activities. The welcome aboard family party the first evening is a blast with music, games, balloons and a visit from Funship freddy. Your son will love that one and you will have a blast participating with him. There are alot of parent/child games/dances. The build a bear is also fun but is an extra fee.

At that age my DD also loved the evening shows, she was mezmerized by the colors, music, costumes etc and would sit through the entire thing. Try it out, just sit in the back and if your child acts up just leave. For the formal dinners, a dvd player/ipod with cartoons helped to keep my child occupied during the long meals. Just make sure it has headphones and check with those sitting around you to make sure it isnt bothering them.

As far as alone time, if you have family or friends along, that helps otherwise you are limited to the "under 2 time". Your child cant swim in the pool yet since he isnt potty trained so you may want to bring a small blow-up pool (also great for the cabin shower to use as a tub). Just place it in an out of the way area on deck and fill it with pool water using a beer bucket. When finished, empty it in the drains near the main pool.

I just returned from the Carnival Splendor and we were travelling with my DS 22 months. We did utlize the babysitting service in the evening on two different occasions and IMO it was well worth it. They would have all the kids lay down on blankets and pillows and watch a movie-both times my DS was sleeping when I returned to get him. They also said that if you put them to sleep before taking them to Camp Carnival, they have cribs they can lay them in. I also saw little ones sleeping in their strollers in there. Taking him to CC was crucial for my sanity! Being in those tiny cabins all day and all night can get somewhat stressful so it was nice to drop them off and enjoy an adult beverage and a good comedy show. Enjoy your cruise, we can't wait to go back!

Archived