Which is the best snorkling in Belize or Cozumel?

turtleherder

We are sailing May 11 with Royal Caribbean and will have ports at Belize City and Cozumel. This may be our only time to visit. (we are new to this cruising and actualy were given this cruise as a gift) :) We want to make the most of this cruise and to make the best decisions. We would like to see the most colorfull fish, clearest waters and underwater reef at the location we choose. We need your help in making our decision. Also, do you see more off the shore or by taking the boats out to a location? So which would be better Belize or Cozumel?

This is my first time for trying these boards. I hope I did it right.:rolleyes:

Turtleherder mom

We are sailing May 11 with Royal Caribbean and will have ports at Belize City and Cozumel. This may be our only time to visit. (we are new to this cruising and actualy were given this cruise as a gift) :) We want to make the most of this cruise and to make the best decisions. We would like to see the most colorfull fish, clearest waters and underwater reef at the location we choose. We need your help in making our decision. Also, do you see more off the shore or by taking the boats out to a location? So which would be better Belize or Cozumel?

This is my first time for trying these boards. I hope I did it right.:rolleyes:

Turtleherder mom

You did do it right & congrats & a great welcome to you from all of us here on the boards. I would answer your question by saying that Belize would be the better spot to snorkel. And just a warning - YOU WILL become a cruise addict!! Happy sailing!

Thanks Kelly for your responce. I was seriously looking at Belize, now you have just confirmed my though. Have you done any of the snorkling excursions from Royal Caribbean in Belize? Our choices are Catamaran to Rendezvous Caye, Reef Rocket Barrier or going to Rendezvous Caye or by Catamaran to Turneffe Atoll? Any comments would be appreciated, I haven't booked it yet but probably need to soon.

Angie

What ship are you on? Almost all excursions offered by the ship are decent. You can research the destinations online and you can also check the Belize board on here under ports. I always research the things that interest us before we go.

... do you see more off the shore or by taking the boats out to a location?
Boat snorkeling is better.

So which would be better Belize or Cozumel?
Both = good, but I'd probably pick Belize for snorkeling (IF I snorkeled.)
This is my first time for trying these boards. I hope I did it right.
Welcome to CC. You are doing it right. ;)

Boat snorkeling is better.

Both = good, but I'd probably pick Belize for snorkeling (IF I snorkeled.)

Welcome to CC. You are doing it right. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement!

The advice from a experienced diver sounds great thanks!

Turtleherder

Welcome to CC

Wife and I have snorkled in Cozumel and snuba'd in coz and Belize. The water was more clear in Belize. We saw more fish and better coral there too! We went out to the reef on a boat booked from the Enchantment of the Sea it was worth every penny. Enjoy your cruise you'll be hooked on cruiseing forever!:D

Thanks guys for all the advise. I booked our excursion today for snorkling in Belize. I'm soo excited!!! Thanks again everyone! I can't believe it's coming up soon. Now it's just figuring out what to pack.:rolleyes:

Turtleherder

We've never been to Belize. In Cozumel we've done some shore snorkeling that has ranged from OK to very good but not a ton of nice reefs. On our last trip we took the ship's excursion "Palancar reef by boat" which was a 3 or 3 1/2 hour excursion. It is unusual for us to take something like that as we normally shy away from ship's excursions and prefer exploring on our own or taking private excursions.

Well we thought the excursion was fantastic and really enjoyed the reef. You snorkel for about 45 minutes and it is a drift snorkel where you float with the currents and the boat follows the group. If there is any issue or you need to stop early there are crew who will you get you back to the boat immediately. I had been concerned about this as I wasn't sure my wife would enjoy the "drift" aspect - but if we were not informed before and after that we were drifting we never would have known. Afterwards they told us we'd covered over 2 miles of reefs even though it seemed we only did a small amount of swimming.

If I had any complaints it would be that there were a few rookie snorkelers who were not very courteous and who occasionally got in ones way or bumped into us. We avoided that after a little bit by keeping a very small distance from the main group who were following the guide.

Highly recommended for great reef & fish views! They also did a nice party scene on board on the return trip with Margaritas and some party music - fun to either participate in or watch. The boat ride itself was about 45 minutes each way and there were probably about 20 to 25 on the excursion which did not feel crowded on the boat.

I have a few pictures here:

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/7889855_RRT2s#511615173_NiUMU

I see you booked Belize. If you want an inexpensive snorkel day in Cozumel....We went to the Money Bar near the Dzul Ha (?) reef last week. The boat owner at Palancar Reef sent us there because the water was too stirred up to go out with her. It's beautiful and very laid back. We snorkeled there from the shore and saw some pretty fish. We watched snorkel boat trips stop where we were from shore all day. We paid for the cab there - and a couple beers and some great chicken nachos. We had time for shopping by the dock, too.

IMGP2870.jpg.4bf3bbeab6892e7200849d19ad787e79.jpg

On our last trip we took the ship's excursion "Palancar reef by boat" which was a 3 or 3 1/2 hour excursion. It is unusual for us to take something like that as we normally shy away from ship's excursions and prefer exploring on our own or taking private excursions.

We took that same tour (in April, over Easter)!! We had a wonderful time as well.

I looked at the pictures you took, and was wondering what camera you took those with? They turned out fantastic!! I had a Walgreens waterproof special camera, and it didn't take very good pictures. Unless it's operator error! :)

Glad you had a great time!

Archived