First Timer to Alaska - Excursion questions

Tiki_Man

Okay, we have done 23 cruises in the Carib (Hey, I like the warm weather). My dear wife has convinced me to finally try Alaska. We did Grand Teton and Yellowstone last summer with lots of hiking and loved it. In our 40's, no kids along on this one, in good physical shape. Looking for something adventureous. Will it be more rainy in Sept? Is it still good time to see Bears and Whales? Would prefer smaller group private operators rather than ship run tours.

Looking at Celebrity Infinity in early Sept. Only 2 real ports, Ketchikan (from 7am to 3pm) and Juneau (9am to 7pm).

Questions - In Ketchikancan, can we schedule a Floatplane tour and still make a "bear sighting" tour (or combine both)?

Juneau - Can we make a Helicopter tour to a Glacier and still make a Whale watching tour (maybe with Harv and Marv) in the afternoon?

CC has always been a huge help with our tours. The knowledge here is wonderful and would like to gleen a little of that as we plan. Actual operators (websites) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tiki

Actually, this itinerary works great for us. Direct flights from Atl to Seattle (CHEAP). I much prefer a couple of "at sea" days. Looking forward to cruising up the Inside Passage and Cruising near Hubbard Glacier.

I have contacted Seawind Aviation in Ketchikan. They can do a Misty Fjord and then Bear Reserve tour within our time frame.

Have sent messages to Harv and Marv about whether to go early and then Helicopter to Glacier in afternoon or do a Helicopter tour early and then try to see Whales in the afternoon.

Both of these shore days are going to be expensive, but since only 2 stops, it works out perfect.

Any advise on a Heli Glacier operator in Juneau?????

Tiki

Actually, this itinerary works great for us. Direct flights from Atl to Seattle (CHEAP). I much prefer a couple of "at sea" days. Looking forward to cruising up the Inside Passage and Cruising near Hubbard Glacier.

I have contacted Seawind Aviation in Ketchikan. They can do a Misty Fjord and then Bear Reserve tour within our time frame.

Have sent messages to Harv and Marv about whether to go early and then Helicopter to Glacier in afternoon or do a Helicopter tour early and then try to see Whales in the afternoon.

Both of these shore days are going to be expensive, but since only 2 stops, it works out perfect.

Any advise on a Heli Glacier operator in Juneau?????

Tiki

The best tour operator in Ketchikan is Island Wings (Michelle).

Depending on which glacier you are speaking of...you can go on a tour with Harv & Marv's and they will take you to Mendenhall glacier after. And if you do have a tour with Harv & Marv's you will not regret it!! I am checking in with Jay's pics each week until I can have a tour with them again.

Highly recommend Harv and Marv's (loved 'em and will go with them again in 2010 as soon as we finalize our sail date!), and also would recommend Michelle with Island Wings for flightseeing - haven't done the bear watch portion, but I understand they do combo trips, so that would be the best of both worlds. When in Sept.? If early, there may be a chance for bears, but mid to late I think you'd really be out of the time frame, because as Budget Queen has said previously, lots of dead and dying salmon by that time.

I too would recommend another itinerary so you could get more AK ports. Two simply is not enough! We've sailed HAL twice and they have excellent itineraries roundtrip from Seattle, or you could go roundtrip from Vancouver, but fly into Seattle the day before and then take the train up to Vancouver. Princess also has some good ones, and the fares for 2009 are GREAT! Wish we could swing it this year to take advantage of them, but can't, so holding out for the 14 day roundtrip from Seattle in 2010.

Highly recommend Harv and Marv's (loved 'em and will go with them again in 2010 as soon as we finalize our sail date!), and also would recommend Michelle with Island Wings for flightseeing - haven't done the bear watch portion, but I understand they do combo trips, so that would be the best of both worlds. When in Sept.? If early, there may be a chance for bears, but mid to late I think you'd really be out of the time frame, because as Budget Queen has said previously, lots of dead and dying salmon by that time.

I too would recommend another itinerary so you could get more AK ports. Two simply is not enough! We've sailed HAL twice and they have excellent itineraries roundtrip from Seattle, or you could go roundtrip from Vancouver, but fly into Seattle the day before and then take the train up to Vancouver. Princess also has some good ones, and the fares for 2009 are GREAT! Wish we could swing it this year to take advantage of them, but can't, so holding out for the 14 day roundtrip from Seattle in 2010.

The best itinerary is on the Pacific Princess, which is a 14-day out of Seattle that visits:

1. Juneau
  2. Ketchikan
  3. Skagway
  4. Glacier Bay
  5. Valdez
  6. Seward
  7. Kodiak
  8. Icy Strait Point
  9. Victoria

Archived