Swine flu

auntdodaa

Lots of jokes here but some failure to take account of facts. The worrying bird flu (H5N1) does not transmit easily from person to person. Most of those who have died from it caught it from birds, from a lot of contact with birds. The swine flu in Mexico (and now elsewhere) appears to be much more readily transmitted from human to human and is now in several different countries scattered across the globe.

It is reassuring that outside of Mexico people who catch it seem to suffer mild symptoms and then recover. However, this virus has all the features that experts worry about - a mixture of human bird and pig genetic material, and readily transmitted. Until they work out why young fit Mexicans are dying from the disease (in the last great pandemic, it was young fit people who were most affected), I would be a lot more cautious than usual, and follow the good advice put out by eg CDC and the UK's HPA.

Some airports are already using thermal imaging cameras to help spot people with potential symptoms - I hope they carry on until this outbreak is over.

I didn't know airports could do this and I am glad to know. We have long layovers in New York City both ways and there are a lot of outbreaks there today.

I wouldn't be at any tourist spots, just be spending a good amount of time at the airport. But if you live this close and you're not worried, I guess I should stop worrying too.

Also, thanks to the nurses that have posted all the great info. It really helps.

Archived