Hilton Bonaventure Hotel

Fine hotel, okay location, right on top of a metro station. There isn't much going on in the area at night. You will be really close if you want to see the Peregrine falcons. It's on the edge of downtown, just over the train tracks and close to the financial district.

I used to live in Montreal, worked downtown, ate frequent beautiful lunches at the wonderful restaurant at the Bonaventure and, most recently (last fall), enjoyed a fantastic Sunday Brunch there. I also have stayed there a few times over the years and found the rooms to be quite typical chain hotel standard but the pool and the restaurant more than makes up for that.

You haven't said when you're staying or for how long? If you're only there for one night then I guess it might not be right in the heart of the action however, if you've got a little more time it is really well situated - in my opinion. It's about a 20 minute walk to Old Montreal, it's a couple of blocks up to St. Catherine Street (lots of regular stores) and, Montreal is such a compact city that nothing is ever really far away by metro or taxi.

As for the railway tracks, hmmmmm, you are right next to the train station but the hotel is on the top of a very lovely multi-storey shopping mall and I'm guessing you're at least 6 or 7 stories above train level. I can't remember ever hearing any trains.

If you got a good deal (and even if you didn't) I think that you've made a nice choice in the Hotel Bonaventure, as long as you're not looking for the boutique hotel feel.

I didn't mean to suggest that you would hear trains.... they are mostly inter-city trains and infrequent. Also they are mostly electric and not noisy. And the hotel is several stories about that. I mentioned the trains because it's more interesting than anything else that a building was built with the train going directly through it. And oddly enough... they trains enter above ground level and end up being below ground level by the time they get to the train station because of the incline of the land in this area.

The Hilton is also across the street from the ICAO building... part of the United Nations.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it will work for us for the one night we're there. We're flying in at 7:00 and so I'm thinking we'll have from 8:00 to midnight or so to enjoy checking a few things out. Where would we find the most activity on a Friday night in the end of June? We're not really nightclub people but we're young and enjoy people watching and touristy things. Is there a particular street where we might find street performers, etc.?

Thanks. Where is Place Jacques Cartier?

Where it has been for the last 300 years :)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Jacques-Cartier+Pl,+Montreal,+Communaut%C3%A9-Urbaine-de-Montr%C3%A9al,+Quebec&sll=45.515504,-73.569162&sspn=0.009397,0.014205&ie=UTF8&cd=4&geocode=FYdktgId662d-w&split=0&z=16&iwloc=A

Right in the centre of old Montreal, nearly in front of Montreal City Hall (Hotel de Ville)

• 1 month later...

I have stayed there a lot over the years, last couple of years they have renovated all the rooms to a very nice decor, high end type, which have new flat tvs, ipod stations, nice wood work trim , I found theydid a real nice job with the new renovations, Hey its a Hilton, food and service is great imo, thats why I keep going back there, very convienient location also.

Archived