Swine Flu - traveling with baby?

SnorkelFool

We're scheduled for an Alaskan cruise towards the end of May with a 6 month old. I know that it's not Mexico, but confined space with lots of people has me a bit concerned. I'm sure it will be fine, but of course I'm a bit uneasy. I doubt we will cancel as I don't think we would get out money back (unless there is an outbreak on the ship prior).

My first thought is that I will not be letting anyone touch the baby. But, how to do that and not seem rude? And, we are cruising on HAL which will most likely have a lot of older folk, and my experience thus far has been that they are the ones most likely to want to touch and play with him. Any suggestions on how to best protect him and us (besides hand washing and the no touching mouth/face, etc)?

Thanks

Swine flu, no, I wouldn't be worried. If I was flying to Mexico with a baby, then I would be worried.

But honestly there is no way to 100% protect a baby. My youngest (8 months old at the time) was evacuated from the Disney Magic due to a virus she caught onboard. She never stepped foot in the nursery. She was never cared for by someone else. I am a germaphobe who constantly washes her hands. She was a breastfed baby.

And yes she STILL caught something onboard. You just never know. :(

So swine flu, no, wouldn't concern me. There are a million other viruses to worry about. ;)

I would be less concerned about swine flu and more concerned about other more "popular" cruise ship viruses that cause diarrhea and vomiting.

Is your child breastfeeding?

Are they up to date on vaccinations?

Wash his hands alot and yours. Talk with your sons primary care provider on what meds and other supplements they recommend you to take along.

(In general I myself take tylenol/ibuprofen/benadryl and a powered electrolyte supplement I could mix with bottled water as needed for my kids).

Swine flu, no, I wouldn't be worried. If I was flying to Mexico with a baby, then I would be worried.

But honestly there is no way to 100% protect a baby. My youngest (8 months old at the time) was evacuated from the Disney Magic due to a virus she caught onboard. She never stepped foot in the nursery. She was never cared for by someone else. I am a germaphobe who constantly washes her hands. She was a breastfed baby.

And yes she STILL caught something onboard. You just never know. :(

So swine flu, no, wouldn't concern me. There are a million other viruses to worry about. ;)

How did that work, the evacuation?

Most flu viruses are airborne so really there is not much you can do to protect yourself or your kids. Just breathing the air that an infected individual coughs or sneezes into can infect you. Just keep him/her away from anyone coughing or acting sick. There is medication to treat it, so if he/she starts running a fever or has difficulty breathing go see the ships dr immediately. Also carry your child's pediatrician's phone number with you just in case. That way if you have any questions, you can call them since they know your child best. Your baby will most likely be fine. My DD has been on 6 cruises starting at 7mo and hasnt caught anything onboard yet. Not to say it cant happen but its no more risky than the mall,store,church, restaurant or any other place where crowds gather.

We are due to go on a cruise in 5 weeks as well and even though we are in Europe the news is reporting outbreaks in a number of european countries including the UK. We are travelling with a 16 month old.

I can't say I feel anymore worried than I did before swine flu was reported. There are loads of bugs which you can pick up with lots of people in a confined space. Hopefully the cruise lines will be encouraging stricter hygiene rules.

How did that work, the evacuation?

Long story - we found the baby in the pack n play blue and seizing (she hadn't been sick). Ran to the ship's med center with her. They intebated her (her oxygen levels were low). Shot her up with meds. Stabilized her. Tried to get her off (by smaller boat) to head back to Nassau (fly out in a military plane from the airforce base)....currents too strong...captain didn't want the baby on the boat with no medical attention. He tried to dock at Castaway Cay - ship kept turning sideways. He decided to head early back to Port Canaveral. It wasn't that early. We ended up arriving back at Port Canaveral at about 2 or 3am instead of the normal docking time. The paramedics came onboard and took us by ambulance to Port Canaveral Medical Center.

Two days later we were cleared to fly home.

That must have been a scary situation. I could not imagine having that happen to my little one. I was wondering because the same thing happened on our cruise on the IOS. The last day we were told we would be getting back to Ft Lauderdale early due to a medical emergency.

I would be less concerned about swine flu and more concerned about other more "popular" cruise ship viruses that cause diarrhea and vomiting.

Is your child breastfeeding?

Are they up to date on vaccinations?

Wash his hands alot and yours. Talk with your sons primary care provider on what meds and other supplements they recommend you to take along.

(In general I myself take tylenol/ibuprofen/benadryl and a powered electrolyte supplement I could mix with bottled water as needed for my kids).

Yes, he is exclusively breastfed and has had all vaccines to this point except Hep B which he will get when he is older.

Archived