need advice please

BEARFACE

Just quit smoking and have been told that weight gain is enevitable, metabolism slows down. If my eating habits do not change, will I still gain the weight? Would appreciate any advice so that does not happen. I realize you need to up the exercise but I already walk on a regular basis.

Thanks again in advance.

Laura

The reason they say weight gain is inevitable is because you will be looking to have something in your mouth instead of smoking. So most people end up snacking more. But you can make sure to have healthier snacks like fruits and veggies around.

Congrats on quitting though. and if you keep your eating habits the same, you should not have too much of a gain.

Just wondering what kind of gain I should expect if I do keep my eating habits the same and add in a couple of days of walking.

The last thing I need is a weight gain, trying to lose. I am thrilled to be on my way of being smoke free:)

Laura

Congrats on your quitting smoking!! It's a tough habit to break...but my sister did it last year...after smoking for 35 years!

One of the things that helped her....having a bottle of water in her car - she used to smoke when driving - and took a sip of water every time she would normally smoke. The Water will be sooo good for you and with healthy snacks - you just might not gain - but lose!

And she had lots of sugar free gum around!

Just a few ideas!

Thanks Jean:)

I already drink plenty of water every day, in fact it is the only thing I

drink if you can believe that;) I am trying to be very careful as to what I put in my mouth. I am experiencing more hunger or maybe I am just looking to replace that cigarette I want. I am currently using the patch which is helping very much, otherwise I think I would be climbing the walls by now LOL..

I quit this past Sunday under not very good circumstances. I was hospitalized for a few days and figured this was the best time to quit. Thanks for the congrats!!

I hope you are right about losing the weight instead of gaining. I do not plan on changing my diet much. I am not a junk food eater to begin with, sometimes the occasional fast food but for the most part I eat healthy. I do have plenty of sugar free gum on hand. Thanks for your advice.

Laura

Bearface, (and I do mean that in a nice way :)) you may want to check into Chantix. It's a tablet. You do need a prescription for it but it really helps. I had to stop smoking before my doctor would do my wls so I also had to watch what I ate. I had smoked for 36 years and was up to at least 3 packs a day.:eek: I took the chantix for one month. It is expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it. I think I paid $115 for it. But I only needed it for the one month. I have not had a cigarette since 6/1/2008. I did not gain any extra weight from not smoking. I had tried to quit numerous times and tried everything from hypnosis to having my ear stapled. And the chantix is the first thing that actually worked. Yes, I still find myself occasionally thinking about a cigarette, but 5 minutes later the thought is gone. So good luck on however you try and I hope you succeed.:D

Sue

Hi Sue,

Congrats to you for quitting this awful habit. Right now I am wearing the nicotine patch and it seems to be working well. Also glad to hear you did not gain weight, I am hoping for the same. I am not eating any differently but I am also on antibiotics right now so that may come into play too with my appetite right now. Glad Chantix worked for you, heard some negative feedback about that prescription which made me decide to do the patch and they were free:) tomorrow will be day 4 that I have not lit up a cigarette.

Thanks for your advice too. Oh, Bearface is my DH screenname, I never bothered to set up my own.

Laura

Just wanted to chime in to let you know I have been smokefree going on 10 days now and have not gained an ounce, actually lost some weight. I realize this is a weight loss thread and this thread is partly about that. Haven't changed my diet that much, maybe a little more snacks but not a drastic change at all.

I am hoping that once I go off the nicotine patch the weight stays the same or I lose. I prefer to lose of course;) Actually I am wondering if the nicotine patch has anything to do with staying the same weight or not:confused:

Just wanted to thank everyone here for their input. Very much appreciated:)

Laura

Thank you Sue:)

Today marks two weeks being smokefree:D doing good. Still watching that the weight does not creep up on me. I did not have a good week, ate pasta, cookies and noticed some weight gain:eek: and automatically contributed it to not smoking and slower metabolism but not the case, I just need to make better food choices. The little bit of weight I gained came right back off. Of course I need to lose at least 20 lbs to feel good about myself physically.

I went walking today and actually did some jogging, it felt great not to be winded afterwards. I usually just walk but will continue to add in the jogging too. Healthwise, I feel so much better then I did and in only two weeks time.

Okay, off to eat a healthy salad:p

Thanks again for the replies.

Laura

Congrats quitting is hard, I put on about 25 pounds and lost 15 of it. I used the patch too and it helped big time! Its been 7yrs now and the great part!! was putting all the money that used to spend on smoking into Cruising!! Please see my list of cruises below. lol there are more things to be gained other than weight! :D

Congrats quitting is hard, I put on about 25 pounds and lost 15 of it. I used the patch too and it helped big time! Its been 7yrs now and the great part!! was putting all the money that used to spend on smoking into Cruising!! Please see my list of cruises below. lol there are more things to be gained other than weight! :D

Thank you:) and I agree, would rather save some of that money not used on cigarettes towards our next cruise, if you noticed my signature you can see how much I love cruising:D

Still maintaining the weight, of course I am battling two demons right now LOL, quitting smoking and trying to lose weight. Sorry to hear you gained 25 lbs but glad to hear you lost some of it. I am trying like crazy to watch the weight too. My counselor tells me to just concentrate on qutting smoking and not the weight issues but I will not allow myself to gain any more weight. I am already overweight and plan on losing the pounds this summer. I am feeling good right now too!!

Thanks again

Laura

Archived