Car rental

FIREKILLER

To all you experienced cruisers who have maybe done this. I would like to know how the roads and signs are to get to your destination. Are they well marked? Will you miss a turn trying to get to Megan's Beach? I would like to rent a jeep for the day to venture off to Megan's Beach, Sapphire Beach, go to the lookouts. And then return back to the dock to catch The Paradise Point Tram.

It's just looks to me that the roads are very windy (curvy), and that I don't want to be missing turn offs to these destinations. Any help please. Thanks:D

To all you experienced cruisers who have maybe done this. I would like to know how the roads and signs are to get to your destination. Are they well marked? Will you miss a turn trying to get to Megan's Beach? I would like to rent a jeep for the day to venture off to Megan's Beach, Sapphire Beach, go to the lookouts. And then return back to the dock to catch The Paradise Point Tram.

It's just looks to me that the roads are very windy (curvy), and that I don't want to be missing turn offs to these destinations. Any help please. Thanks :D

The roads are definitely windy and curvy. :) Magen's was pretty easy to get to, ditto for Sapphire. It sounds like you did your homework, but am not sure if you're aware that they drive on the left on St. Thomas and that will take some getting used to, especially in an American car. You may want to assign someone in your party the job of being the designated co-pilot. The designated co-pilot's purposed is to make sure the driver stays on the left. This system worked well with me and my husband. ;)

The road signs are U.S. road signs... stop, yield, yellow lines on the road, stop lights. As far as signs for road names - they exists, so do signs with numbers that conincide with the maps. If you were to ask residents for directions however don't expect them to use either the road names or numbers, we typically give directions using landmarks like Home Depot, K-mart, a school, etc. :) If you miss a turn you find a spot to turn around and get back on track. Drive slow, take your time, if someone wants to pass you they will, don't worry about it. Most important -Remember to stay left. If you pull up Google Maps you can map out your route and get an idea of what is around the turns you will be taking and get familiar with the route. Here is Havensight - Magens - Sapphire for example: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Havensight+Shopping+Mall&daddr=Magen's+Bay+Rd+to:18.333669,-64.850922&geocode=FRi7FwEdtGAh_A%3BFcQ2GAEdgF0h_A%3B&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=1&mrsp=2&sz=13&sll=18.349638,-64.909372&sspn=0.07446,0.153809&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13. You can move the route around to the roads you wanted to take and add stops at Drakes Seat and the Skyline Look Out for example.

--Islander

Thanks Islander, I appreciate the info. I better be a good driver over there, I drive fire trucks for a living. I'll have my wife be the co-pilot for me.lol, I hope that works out. The directional maps you provided looks good. I'll most likely rent from budget right there at Havensight, they should have some good maps. Thanks once again.:D

Hey Islander, I have read on another blog that Coki Beach is supposed to be going thru some renovation/construction soon. I emailed a tour operator over there and he said he heard the same but does not know when they are going to start. Have you heard anything about this? Thanks:confused:

Yes they (government) have plans to put in a boardwalk and make booths and things; a renovation type project. As of a couple weeks ago they hadn't started with any actual construction work. They were supposed to start the archeological survey part last month or the month before. Haven't heard whether they have finished with that, but that was part of the first steps.

--Islander

Yes they (government) have plans to put in a boardwalk and make booths and things; a renovation type project. As of a couple weeks ago they hadn't started with any actual construction work. They were supposed to start the archeological survey part last month or the month before. Haven't heard whether they have finished with that, but that was part of the first steps.

--Islander

Thanks Islander, knowing what you know and have read, do you think this renovation will be going on next month in June? Coming in the last week of June on our cruise. Also, I have been reading some unfavorable reviews of Sapphire Beach. ie: run down, dirty, lacking amenities. etc. Any thought on that?

It's just looks to me that the roads are very windy (curvy), and that I don't want to be missing turn offs to these destinations. Any help please. Thanks:D

As previously posted, if you have a designated map reader, you will do fine. We spent a week in STT and my hubby drove while I navigated. Driving on the left was challenging at first, you have to pay attention...it doesn't feel right at all. We drove all over the island and didn't get lost once. Good luck!

As previously posted, if you have a designated map reader, you will do fine. We spent a week in STT and my hubby drove while I navigated. Driving on the left was challenging at first, you have to pay attention...it doesn't feel right at all. We drove all over the island and didn't get lost once. Good luck!

Thanks okgladmom, I think I'm leaning heavily on renting the jeep. I google mapped the locations we want to try to hit and the mileage between them is minimal. Did you get a good map from the rental agency or did you have one prior? Thanks again.:)

Thanks okgladmom, I think I'm leaning heavily on renting the jeep. I google mapped the locations we want to try to hit and the mileage between them is minimal. Did you get a good map from the rental agency or did you have one prior? Thanks again.:)

We had SEVERAL maps lol. I honestly can't remember which one we used the most. Seems like the rental agency map was a little vague. Sorry I can't help you more there.

Our rental agent provided us with a map of the island that was quite accurate. He also had marked on there areas for us to stay away from. None of them were anywhere near where we wanted to go anyway, but I guess previous customers had strayed there and there had been some problems.

Another thing that helped us was that if there was a taxi in front of us loaded with tourists we figured they were going to the same place we were, i.e. Magen's. We used those as guidelines whenever we could. Between that and a map we were able to find where we wanted to go quite easily.

All the roads will look very familiar due to the signage, it's just the driving on the left that you need to get used to. You'll see little reminders near all touristy areas, such as signs that read "keep your shoulder to the shoulder". The maximum speed limit is 35. Going to and from Magen's was pretty straightforward. Finding Sapphire Beach was pretty easy too. Pulling out of Sapphire Beach was a trip, though! :p It's a blind turn back onto the road. I think Drake's Seat was the same, except there was more traffic. :eek: But we lived to tell about it. ;)

Our rental agent provided us with a map of the island that was quite accurate. He also had marked on there areas for us to stay away from. None of them were anywhere near where we wanted to go anyway, but I guess previous customers had strayed there and there had been some problems.

Another thing that helped us was that if there was a taxi in front of us loaded with tourists we figured they were going to the same place we were, i.e. Magen's. We used those as guidelines whenever we could. Between that and a map we were able to find where we wanted to go quite easily.

All the roads will look very familiar due to the signage, it's just the driving on the left that you need to get used to. You'll see little reminders near all touristy areas, such as signs that read "keep your shoulder to the shoulder". The maximum speed limit is 35. Going to and from Magen's was pretty straightforward. Finding Sapphire Beach was pretty easy too. Pulling out of Sapphire Beach was a trip, though! :p It's a blind turn back onto the road. I think Drake's Seat was the same, except there was more traffic. :eek: But we lived to tell about it. ;)

Thanks Linda for all that info. Those are all the places we think we want to visit. Great idea about the taxi cabs. Do you remember who you rented with? I see that Budget is right next to the Havensight Mall.

Thanks again. :D

Firekiller - its hard (if not impossiable) to guess when they will get started or get finished. The only dates I have seen are for the archeological survey part and that was a month or two ago... not sure they have actually started doing it though. Sorry can't give better answer. You might ask again just before your trip and see if anything has changed. As far Sapphire, the beach front restuarant/bar closed down a while back and the restroom was "part of" the restaurant/bar area. Since the restaurant closed the restroom hasn't been getting the upkeep it needs/requires. As for the beach itself, its clean. Amenities: there is a watersports booth with snorkel gear, kayaks, diving and some other things. Jetskis and parasailing available around at the marina. Small open air grill called Banana Cabana serves a few things like sandwiches, hot dogs, sodas and coladas. Up at the condos, about 12 minute walk past the marina and up to the condo pool there is a restaurant. Sometimes wait staff from that restaurant are on the beach taking and delivering orders, minimum is $20 or $25 and there is a service charge. There is also usually a pizza delivery person taking and delivering orders for pizza from a pizza place in Red Hook (which is a short couple minutes drive from Sapphire).

--Islander

Firekiller - its hard (if not impossiable) to guess when they will get started or get finished. The only dates I have seen are for the archeological survey part and that was a month or two ago... not sure they have actually started doing it though. Sorry can't give better answer. You might ask again just before your trip and see if anything has changed. As far Sapphire, the beach front restuarant/bar closed down a while back and the restroom was "part of" the restaurant/bar area. Since the restaurant closed the restroom hasn't been getting the upkeep it needs/requires. As for the beach itself, its clean. Amenities: there is a watersports booth with snorkel gear, kayaks, diving and some other things. Jetskis and parasailing available around at the marina. Small open air grill called Banana Cabana serves a few things like sandwiches, hot dogs, sodas and coladas. Up at the condos, about 12 minute walk past the marina and up to the condo pool there is a restaurant. Sometimes wait staff from that restaurant are on the beach taking and delivering orders, minimum is $20 or $25 and there is a service charge. There is also usually a pizza delivery person taking and delivering orders for pizza from a pizza place in Red Hook (which is a short couple minutes drive from Sapphire).

--Islander

Islander,

Your a bunch of help. I appreciate your thoughts on this. I will call on you again around a week before we go in June to see if anything else has started for Coki Beach. We will be there for 10 hours, our plans is to drive up to Drakes Seat on the way to Megan's Beach, then either Coki or Sapphire. Then back to the dock to do Paradise Point Tram before we have to leave. Could you suggest other beaches besides the ones I mentioned that I'll take a look at? Thanks again:)

Your route sounds good, a little sightseeing and two beaches. Since you are renting a car you can beach hop to other beaches too if you like, if only to look around or take photos. For example Coki and Sapphire are just about 5-6 minutes drive apart. And then maybe another 5-6 minute drive from Sapphire is Secret Harbor, a minute from there Cowpet and then maybe a minute or two further is Bluebeards Beach. So several beaches on the East End in close proximity. Which you choose depends on what you are looking for... snorkeling, beach bar, lunch on the beach, watersports, few people.... Take a look at a beach guide for St. Thomas, try http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=st.+thomas+beach+guide&fr=yfp-t-305&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8. You can look at photos and descriptions of the beaches mentioned and others. See if any other beaches are of interest to you.

--Islander

Thanks Linda for all that info. Those are all the places we think we want to visit. Great idea about the taxi cabs. Do you remember who you rented with? I see that Budget is right next to the Havensight Mall.

Thanks again. :D

We rented a car during a land-based vacation a few years ago. Sadly, I don't recall the name of the agency :o, but he's not located near a cruise ship dock. He wasn't too far from the Ritz Carlton -- that's about all I remember. You want to optimize your island time and rent from a place close to the dock. ;) You should do fine with Budget. The map we got appeared to be a pretty standard one --easy to read, except he had marked on there areas for us to steer clear of.

BTW, Islander gave you some good tips on more beaches to visit. The views of St. John from Sapphire Beach are breathtaking. Secret Harbour is quaint and laid back. :)

We rented a car during a land-based vacation a few years ago. Sadly, I don't recall the name of the agency :o, but he's not located near a cruise ship dock. He wasn't too far from the Ritz Carlton -- that's about all I remember. You want to optimize your island time and rent from a place close to the dock. ;) You should do fine with Budget. The map we got appeared to be a pretty standard one --easy to read, except he had marked on there areas for us to steer clear of.

BTW, Islander gave you some good tips on more beaches to visit. The views of St. John from Sapphire Beach are breathtaking. Secret Harbour is quaint and laid back. :)

Thank all of you for the info, I want to leave today:mad:, 39 days and counting:D

Archived